Senior Landscape Architect
City : OTTAWA
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Landscape Architect - ( 2400009D )
Through design, we empower communities and help realize their potential. Our landscape architects create inspired spaces that reflect context and user needs along with our commitment to sustainability. We take a collaborative approach to design and believe that the best solutions are the product of diverse perspectives.
Stantec Planning and Landscape Architecture Group is seeking an experienced Landscape Architect to join our Ottawa team and assist on projects. Our location in the National Capital provides many unique opportunities to work on projects of local and national significance for private and government clients.
We design urban parks and plazas, transportation corridors, waterfronts and mixed-use developments that enhance our communities. Our experienced inter-disciplinary team specializes in parks and open spaces, urban public spaces, multiuse pathways, roadway enhancements, commercial and residential developments, wetland creation, habitat enhancements, watercourse restoration, urban forestry, and low impact development. We connect the people, places, and resources that take a project from concept to reality.
Your Key Responsibilities
You will work with general supervision and direction on a variety of projects, ranging in size from urban in-fill projects to subdivision plans, as a team member of a larger project in collaboration with other professionals and experts.
You will establish general landscape requirements; conduct preliminary site studies and assess potential to meet client specifications. You will carry out environmental impact studies. As part of our team, you will collaborate with skilled professionals on projects ranging from initial planning to decommission.
Key responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Conceptualizes, designs, and documents landscape architectural designs.
- Prepares design documents including reports, drawings, and construction specifications for assigned projects and has authority to sign and seal on design/plans.
- Serves as technical design expert for projects and works with other team members to develop and execute design.
- Communicates effectively with clients to resolve technical project issues. Present and explain reports and designs, and provide service to meet client’s goals.
- Coordinates with other members of the design team to finalize the design of the development.
- Effectively communicates with contractors to implement plan design.
- Conducts site investigations and construction inspections including pre-design investigations.
- Prepares proposals.
- Collaborates with other disciplines and experts.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
Through demonstrated progressively responsible experience in landscape architect project management, you have honed your planning and design development skills on urban space, commercial, residential, roadway or green space projects.
Capabilities and credentials include but are not limited to:
- Significant technical knowledge recognizing when problems are developing and initiating appropriate corrective actions using sound professional judgment, creativity, and innovation.
- Familiarity with federal, provincial, and municipal approval process and standards.
- Demonstrated experience in the preparation of designs and construction documents including specifications.
- Proficient in relevant drafting/design software such as AutoCAD, SketchUp, Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator and Adobe Acrobat with experience working with 3D rendering softwares an asset (Sketch-up, 3D Max).
- Demonstrated industry practice knowledge and commitment to excellence in customer service.
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Positive team-oriented attitude.
- Self-motivated and passionate about design and environmental stewardship.
- Skills and ability to work closely with others as a team as well as independently.
- Strong time management and critical thinking.
- Strong problem-solving abilities along with a commitment to thrive in a proactive organization where client service is priority one.
- Local and regional travel is expected, and the successful applicant shall supply his or her own vehicle.
- Proficient in English or French. Bilingualism is an advantage.
Education and Experience
Applicants should have a full membership with the Ontario Association of Landscape Architects (OALA) or Association des architectes paysagistes du Québec (AAPQ). Applicants should demonstrate a minimum of 10 to 12 years of experience as a Landscape Architect and have a degree in Landscape Architecture or similar relevant certification.
Please include the following additional required application materials:
- A cover letter in PDF format indicating your background, interests, and goals in the field of landscape architecture, and any other relevant information you believe will support your application.
- Two letters of recommendation in PDF format from individuals related to the field of landscape architecture and design.
- Design Portfolio in PDF format.
Application packages will be reviewed based upon creativity, critical thinking, and design communication skills.
Typical office environment includes working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. Current work requirements require working from home. Stantec will provide you a computer and you will have access remotely to project folders and files.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Ottawa
Organization : BC-1604 CommDev-CA Ottawa ON
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 19, 2024, 10:32:51 AM
Req ID: 2400009D
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans