Senior Interior Designer
City : CALGARY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Interior Designer - ( 240000JF )
Stantec Buildings is on a mission to become the world’s leading integrated design practice. Our architects, engineers, interior designers, sustainability specialists, and technologists are passionate about the power of design. We take an innovative, collaborative approach to projects, sharing a common belief that sustainable design for the built environment can make the world a better place for future generations. Join us and design your place with Stantec.
The primary role of the Senior Interior Designer / Programmer is to gather, interpret and translate the needs of a client set forth into a cohesive functional program. This process may involve production of drawings (2D/3D), written material, and user group meetings. The scope of programming may include operational assessments, space plans and test fits, and identifying future-state drivers. Success in this position requires strong project management, facilitation, and researching skills to support the findings. This individual will often be required to present the information in formal and informal settings with a willingness and desire to hear and respond to constructive feedback. An individual at this level in their career is expected to perform their role within the standard of care acceptable to their peers in the industry.
As well, a Senior Interior Designer may be expected to work collaboratively with the architectural team, conceptualizing, developing and documenting varying aspects of interior design of a project, including but not limited to space planning, interior architecture, interior materials and palette, specifications, and FFE.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for large and/or complex projects/clients, with specific focus on healthcare facilities, long term care facilities, planning and programming, and mental health project expertise
- Advocates and inspires creativity, critical thought, and design excellence both internally and externally.
- Collaborates with firm-wide leaders to ensure the outcomes of research efforts are leveraged in the areas of: Education, Application, Visibility/Recognition and Recruiting.
- Supports Business Development activities, including marketing proposals, interviews, conference attendance, and the like.
- Assists in identification, recruiting, and interviewing of design staff at all levels.
- Fosters collaboration between offices while promoting and providing design vision.
- Acts as a mentor, teacher, and coach to design staff with goal of growing and guiding them through their careers.
- Evaluates the quality of design and design activities, and assures a high level of design quality throughout the firm.
- Develops and implements firm’s brand, image, marketing collateral and business collateral.
- Participates in performance reviews including setting of job goals.
- Oversees and participates in the production of design competitions or award submissions.
- Engages staff in dialog on design, ensures design process is followed and influences usage of technological tools.
- Acts as a vehicle for the delivery of firm’s message on design.
- Expresses philosophy of the work with appropriate vocabulary.
- Identifies and directs project photography, written descriptions, and other media in support of building the firm’s portfolio.
- Ambassador and steward of the firm’s portfolio of work with ability to guide and educate others.
- Engages with a professional organization outside the firm (i.e. committee chair) that contributes to visibility of the firm.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to engage in creative and critical thought.
- Structured report writing including rationale, executive summaries, categorized detailed information, identification of constraints, feasibility, constructability, strategic phasing, design parameters, quality control considerations, testing and commissioning (if required), life-cycle considerations, safety, codes, and applicable legislative requirements.
- Understanding of elements in of a report and use of data-driven visual graphics.
- To produce design at a level that would be perceived externally as excellent.
- To sketch and communicate concepts and ideas to others effectively.
- To participate in a project team setting.
- To lead several teams on large complex projects through the development of design concept.
- To receive criticism and respond appropriately and professionally.
- To inspire confidence and garner trust and respect with the project team and with clients.
- To provide a balanced approach and good judgement.
- To check work of others for accuracy and completeness, and manage team to meet project budget and schedule.
- Scale process, design, and effort to various roles on the project, the needs of the project, and other conditions.
- To interpret sketches, drawings, codes, building program and other similar material.
- Strong presentation and interview skills.
- To present abstract ideas to the client and client representatives.
- Exhibits maturity and cultural awareness internally and externally.
- Significant knowledge of building construction systems, constructability, materials, and industry associated standards.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD, Adobe Creative Suite, SketchUP, Newforma, most recent modeling software.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Interior Design or related field.
- Licensed Interior Designer.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience, including demonstrated focus on healthcare-related projects.
- Certified Healthcare Interior Designer (CHID) preferred.
- LEED Green Associate or LEED AP preferred.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #DesignYourPlace
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Organization : BC-1442 Buildings-CA Alberta
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 9, 2024, 7:26:53 AM
Req ID: 240000JF
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans