City : Thompson, MB, CAN
Category : See posting
Industry : Mining and Quarrying
Employer : Vale
Job Title: Senior Geologist
Want to help Canada develop a sustainable future?
Who We Are:
Welcome to Vale. Our purpose is to improve life and transform the future. Together. We value our workforce and strive to offer continuous training and career development opportunities for our people.
Vale Base Metals is one of the world's largest producers of high-quality nickel and an important producer of copper and responsibly sourced cobalt. With headquarters in Toronto, Canada, and operations in Newfoundland & Labrador, Ontario, Manitoba, UK, Indonesia, and Brazil, we are delivering the critical building blocks for a cleaner, greener future.
Applying the latest technologies to sustainably mine the critical minerals that power electric vehicles, build renewable energy solutions, and help develop life-saving medical equipment is at the heart of what we do.
We invite you to be part of our evolution.
As part of our team, you provide geological services to the Thompson deposits to help identify mineral resources and assist with safe and efficient extraction. The role will involve lithological mapping, core logging, grade control and working closely with geologists and other disciplines. This includes the safe planning and execution of diamond drilling programs and interpretation of results to explore for additional mineral resource, construct and evaluate resource wireframes, and resource model design and evaluation.
We are currently seeking a Senior Geologist to join our Geology Team working on site in Thompson, Manitoba.
To provide geological support for the Mining Operations division by locating, estimating and documenting mineral resources and mineable reserves for new and existing mines. Administer, support and develop geological applications for all users. Work closely with engineering to support the mine designs for the Life of Mine Plan. Mentor and train geologists in all aspects of resource estimation, and provide support and training for the use of Vale custom scripts and geological database applications.
Additionally, in this position you will:
- Compliance with all regulatory requirements (Vale Standards and Procedures, Mines Act, Workplace Health and Safety, etc.)
- Work in the Mines Geology & In-Mine Exploration Central Services team to provide geological input and support to the Life of Mine Planning (LoMP) process on an ongoing basis.
- Liaison with the in-mine exploration group with regard to exploration targeting.
- Effective communication with Mine Planners and project teams.
- Review and compile geological data to create, update and document geological models, assess risks and look for opportunities, and complete mineral resource block model interpolations in compliance with company and legislated resource and reserve reporting standards, including NI 43-101, CIM Standards on Mineral Resources and Reserves, and MTS guidelines. Assist in reporting of Annual MRMR statement.
- Support Scoping, Pre-Feasibility and Feasibility studies for various ore bodies & projects in Manitoba Operations and occasionally across North Atlantic.
- Build experience in managing, mentoring, and training geologists-in-training and provide mentoring and development of more inexperienced geoscientists.
- Travel within North Atlantic operations as required.
- Minimum Geological diploma: B. Sc. Geology
- Must be eligible to register as a Professional Geoscientist in the Province of Manitoba
- 5-10 years relevant experience in mining and resource estimation and evaluation.
- Advanced understanding and proficiency with geostatistical software packages (DatamineR StudioRM, Vulcan) to process, visualize and interpret 3D geological data for modelling and grade interpolation.
- Knowledge of Mining, Milling and Refining Processes.
- Have a good appreciation of the interaction of geostatistics with geology, mining, metallurgy, economics and understand the relationship between mine planning and mineral resource estimation and evaluation.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products to include Word, Excel, and Outlook.
How Can Vale grow your career?
The Senior Geologist is a position that will allow the right candidate to shape our mining operations as well as our team. The candidate will be a part of a larger group of technical professionals across the North Atlantic Operations; a group with considerable expertise and experience in the challenging field of mining in deep hardrock underground operations. Additionally, Vale Canada offers a series of benefits including:
- Competitive salary.
- Attractive pension and benefits (company paid core coverage, flex health and dental coverage, flex accounts, disability plans and optional insurances)
- Leave for all of life’s reasons (vacation, flex, sick, top up for maternity/parental)
- Work culture dedicated to safety, diversity & inclusion and career growth.
- Online training and career development opportunities.
- Opportunities to grow your career in a large global company, and mining industry leader.
- On site Gym Facilities.
- Participation in our Employee Family Assistance Program.
Thompson is known as the "Hub of the North.” The town was developed in the 1950s around our mine and is now a thriving community. Our home boasts a close-knit and involved community with a vibrant arts and music scene and is known for its hospitality and welcoming nature.
Thompsonites, as we call ourselves, are always ready to welcome new people to town and excited to share its gems with them. Above all, the main draw to Thompson is its unspoiled wilderness filled with waterfalls and wildlife, making it the perfect place for the adventurous soul.
The summer months offer beautiful lakes and river systems enabling endless opportunities for kayaking, boating, fishing, camping, and swimming. From the Northern Lights to ice fishing, skating, skiing, hockey, sledding, hunting and every winter sport you can imagine, if you love the outdoors, Thompson is the perfect place for you and your family.
Include to Transform
At Vale, we are committed to ensuring an inclusive work environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. Vale encourages everyone to express their ideas and opinions and values the plurality of individual profiles. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation, or any other personal consideration that makes us different.
Vale is an equal opportunity employer seeking to increase diversity across our operations and improve equal opportunity at Vale and in the mining industry.
In accordance with the Accessibility for Manitobans Act, accommodation is available throughout our recruitment process for applicants with disabilities.
Apply by: 24th February 2024