Senior Electrical Engineer – Hydropower & Dams
City : STONEY CREEK
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Senior Electrical Engineer – Hydropower & Dams - ( 2400005R )
We are in an energy transition – sustainability and renewable attributes of our power generation sources are becoming increasingly important to society. Hydroelectric power plants play a crucial role in the mix because water is an inherently renewable “fuel”, and because waterpower serves to enable other renewable, but non-dispatchable, generation forms. Our work includes engineering for new greenfield waterpower facilities but more likely the redevelopment, refurbishment and renovation of existing, historic plants.
Join a team that will support you in doing meaningful work according to your unique way of arriving at our goal.
Our hydro team is seeking a colleague who can understand client needs and match them with appropriate technical solutions.
Senior Electrical Engineer – Hydropower & Dams
Whom we seek has experience with design, application, operation and testing of generating and other electrical equipment that is found in service at a hydroelectrical facility plus a background in hands -on engineering and engineering management.
If you feel a passion for waterpower please apply and convince us that you are the right person for our team.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Observe and personify safety and quality culture
- With high-level guidance but responsible for approach and execution, develop solutions to a variety of diverse engineering problems involving hydropower equipment selection, design, testing and life extension
- Perform field support during manufacture, installation and construction through monitoring for quality control and consistency with the design specifications
- Prepare written communications regarding design basis, options analyses, schedule and cost estimating
- Review commercial contracts for design, manufacture and installation services
- Motivate team to work together efficiently and effectively
- Assist in resource management processes, recruitment, career development, succession planning, coaching and mentoring, and leadership development
- Understand skills, capabilities and gaps in Stantec’s business lines across Canada, support international collaboration
- Understand complexity of a given client project and match with appropriate staffing suggestions
- Identify skill gaps and propose mitigation/training for team members or team at large
- Present training modules comfortably in own area of expertise
- Works collaboratively with Project Engineers and Project Managers to assist in planning, design, CAD drafting and preparation of drawings, bid documents, technical specifications, and capital cost estimates in connection with a variety of engineering projects
- Communicates with other team members and become familiar with Stantec standards
- Contribute to the development and execution of the sector business strategy
- Meet HSSE goals and targets and personal utilization requirements
- Communicate at ease and habitually across the corporate hierarchy
- Understand project management principles and apply consistently according to Stantec 10-Step process
- Understand and apply appropriately our risk review process
- Be able to scale administrative process to size and type of application and identify potential for improvements
- Support business development pursuits in own engineering discipline
- Understand hydro industry, changing needs and players
- Communicate comfortably with clients across their hierarchy from boardroom to shop floor – note that this may require travel
- Know existing clients, the issues they may need help with and their staff
- Maintain client relationships that aims at satisfied customers and repeat business
- Recognize where Stantec can be of value to clients
- Know and relate with relevant industry associations, academic institutions and training programs
- Write, coordinate or present publications and conference presentations on innovative or interesting aspects of their work
- Know Stantec’s technology differentiators and be able to explain client benefits
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Electrical engineer with a degree from an accredited university. Post graduate degree in a renewable energy application an asset.
- Professional designation obtained in at least one Canadian Province (P.Eng.)
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience with hydroelectric plant preferably within a consulting engineering environment
- Familiarity with risk-informed decision processes an asset
- Knowledge of a variety of software programs used in engineering analysis and design; proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Project management experience with demonstrated organizational and communication skills
Position will primarily work in home office setting; may require office attendance in Hamilton, Ontario and field work.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Stoney Creek
Organization : BC-1265 Energy-CA Central
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 23, 2024, 8:32:03 AM
Req ID: 2400005R
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans