City : Toronto, ON, CA, M5G 1X6
Category : Regular Full Time, Legal/Regulatory
Industry : Public Utilities
Employer : Ontario Power Generation
Position: Senior Counsel
Working Conditions: Hybrid
Education/Certification Requirement: Bachelor of Law (LLB)/ JD) degree . Member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada (must retain status)
Location: Downtown Toronto – 700 University Ave, Toronto, ON*
Travel: As required, Mainly GTA / Durham region
Number of Positions: 2
Deadline to Apply: March 4, 2024
Electrify your career and help build a brighter tomorrow.
Every generation has a challenge that defines them. At OPG, we are calling on all innovators, disruptors, thought leaders and change-makers. Join us to electrify life in one generation and build a sustainable future powered by our electricity, our ideas, and our people. Join OPG and make history.
Whether you work in the skilled trades or are a business professional, a career at OPG is an opportunity to electrify your life on -- and off -- the job.
*This position is moving to OPG Corporate Headquarters: In Summer 2025, OPG will officially welcome employees to our new Corporate Headquarters located at 1908 Colonel Sam Drive, Oshawa, Ontario. This new space will enable teamwork, collaboration and innovation that will help us to achieve our mission to electrify life in one generation.
OPG is committed to fostering an inclusive, equitable, and accessible environment where all employees feel valued, respected, and supported. If you require accommodation during the application or interview process, please advise us as soon as possible so appropriate arrangements can be made.
If you require information in a format that is accessible to you, please contact AODA@opg.com
OPG is seeking up to two business-minded, results-oriented, experienced legal professionals to join its in-house legal department as Senior Counsel. Reporting to the Assistant General Counsel, the Senior Counsel will mainly support OPG’s major projects and strategic business initiatives, utilizing their legal experience to assist with providing strategic legal advice and support in the practice area of corporate/commercial law. Experience gained at a large law firm or in-house legal department of a large corporation, as well as experience of working in the energy industry will be an asset.
This is an exciting opportunity to work in an environment where you will contribute to OPG’s public outreach, engagement and education efforts as part of the company’s commitment to growing its social license.
- Provide high quality and timely legal advice in identified areas of law ;
- Develop and execute legal strategy through management of all aspects of legal advice provided in the identified areas of law;
- Advise OPG business partners on managing legal, including contractual, risks;
- Stay current on OPG’s business and legal matters in general, including statutory changes, significant case law, and prevailing legal strategy;
- Work independently and as a member of a team to identify, research and resolve legal issues, overcome practical barriers, and provide options that will work best for the OPG business;
- Educate business partners about legal matters and developments relevant to their business area;
- Employ effective work practices and document/file management;
- Meet all work schedule requirements and proactively pursue new challenges and files;
- Liaise and develop effective relationships with internal stakeholders at all levels of the organization; and
- Interact with and represent OPG with external stakeholders who may include OPG’s shareholder, government bodies and ministries, financial institutions, external counsel engaged by OPG, and opposing legal counsel.
- Bachelor of Law degree (LLB/JD)
- Member in good standing with the Law Society of Upper Canada (must retain status)
- Minimum 6 – 10 years of experience in corporate/commercial law;
- Ability to build relationships with business partners and be a team player;
- A results-oriented focus and the ability to work in a fast-paced, changing environment and effectively manage several projects simultaneously;
- Ability to provide sound, risk-informed and practical legal advice
- Experience in providing legal support in respect of major infrastructure projects, including drafting and negotiating contracts, and supporting pre-litigation commercial dispute resolution processes;
- Experience in providing legal support in respect of financial transactions, general corporate/commercial matters and public procurement processes;
- Strong verbal communication skills; ability to influence and communicate effectively across the company and externally at all levels;
- Strong analytical, research and problem-solving skills with a keen eye for detail;
- Superior writing skills, including the ability to compile information from research, case files or verbal direction to draft documentation;
- Highest level of personal integrity, sound professional judgement and business acumen;
- Proven ability to work in a complex, regulated corporate environment;
- Demonstrated ability to be proactive and confident; and
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Outlook, document management and other similar technology tools.
The successful candidate will exhibit uncompromising integrity and commitment to upholding corporate values, and the OPG Code of Business Conduct.
What Makes a Career at OPG Different?
As Ontario’s largest clean energy generator, we’re building, expanding, and innovating the equipment and technology that keeps Ontario powered with clean, reliable energy.
At OPG, our values are our strengths. They are fundamental truths about our organization that don’t change:
Safety – it’s our business
Integrity – always lead with integrity
Excellence – never satisfied with good enough
Inclusion – working together for powerful outcomes
Innovation - creativity accelerates possibility
Here's why OPG might just be the ideal workplace for you:
- Exceptional range of opportunities province-wide
- Long-term career growth and development opportunities
- Electricity is vital to the province and OPG’s clean electricity is helping decarbonize other sectors.
Our promise to you:
- We care about the safety and the well-being of our employees. It is our utmost priority.
- A supportive work environment where you can be your best every day.
- Opportunities to stretch and develop.
- Offer different ways for you to give back to communities where we operate.
- Partner with Indigenous communities and support local businesses.
- We support employment equity, diversity and inclusion.
Are you ready to start a career that has the power to electrify life on and off the job? Apply now.
Please submit your application online at https://jobs.opg.com/ by 11:59 PM E.S.T., March 4, 2024. OPG thanks all those who apply; however, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
To be drafted following the approval process. External posting will not go up until we can confirm there were no successful internal candidates