City : Dartmouth
Category : Engineering & Science
Industry : Transportation equipment manufacturing
Employer : J.D. Irving
Located at 3099 Barrington Street in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3K 5M7, and 35 Micmac Boulevard, Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada, B3A 4Y8, Irving Shipbuilding is proud to be Canada’s National Shipbuilder. Over the next 30 years, our shipbuilders will construct 20+ modern patrol ships and surface combatants for the Royal Canadian Navy as part of the largest defence procurement project in Canadian history.
We have built more than 80% of Canada's current combatant fleet and continue to perform maintenance and modernization work on these vessels. We are committed to building the best ships, with the best workforce in the best facilities. By joining our team of more than 2,300 shipbuilders, you can enjoy a dynamic, diverse, and family-friendly career with a company dedicated to your success, learning, health, wellness, and safety.
At Irving Shipbuilding, we’re making history – why not make it with us? Learn more about careers at Irving Shipbuilding: shipsforcanada.ca/opportunities.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is seeking a Quality Engineer.
This is a permanent full-time role based in Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia. The primary language of work is English. We encourage applications from qualified African Nova Scotians, racially visible persons, women (applying for non-traditional positions), persons with disabilities, Aboriginal persons and persons of the 2SLGBTQ+ community. ISI encourages applicants to self-identify in the cover letter/resume portion of your application. Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment where all employees feel supported and valued. ISI is committed to working towards a barrier-free workplace and to expanding the accessibility of the workplace to persons with disabilities. Candidates who require accommodation during the selection process are invited to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Education: University Degree
- 2-5 years of relevant work experience
- Experience: Engineering, quality, manufacturing, and program management
- Experience in developing and implementing vendor qualification programs.
- Knowledge of quality and business systems
- Commercial and financial acumen
- Strong knowledge of Advanced Product Quality Planning (APQP), Production Part Approval Process (PPAP), Failure Mode and Effect Analysis (FMEA)
- Report and procedure writing with excellent presentation skills.
- Understanding and interpretation of engineering drawings
- Understanding manufacturing processes.
- Ability to work in a diverse and dynamic environment.
- Ability to present data effectively.
All successful applicants must meet requirements for Canadian Controlled Goods Program (CGP), Canadian Government Security clearance, and U.S. International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).
- Establishes and lead the implementation of a supplier quality program for strategic and key suppliers in order to achieve and sustain high levels of supply chain performance.
- Continuous improvement of techniques to increase performance in the supply chain.
- Proposes and facilitates continuous improvement activities at suppliers to maximize supply chain performance.
- Reports on supplier performance and areas of risk.
Supplier Quality Management
- Conducts and maintain risk analysis and report results to Supply Chain team.
- Conducts audits of to identify risk and / or product non -conformance.
- Identifies areas for process improvement for suppliers related to supplier process and Product quality and manage action plans to implement improvements.
- Develops and implement appropriate reporting metrics for supply chain meetings and communications.
- Evaluates capacity and confirm suppliers’ ability to meet scheduled requirements through production readiness assessments Evaluate and approve new suppliers based on their third-party Quality System certifications and audit results.
- Administers the certified supplier program.
- Evaluates supplier delivery and quality performance and implement the appropriate supplier controls.
- Ensures all supplier non-conformances are identified and managed.
- Documents all non-conformances to maintain a history of supplier performance and suggest preventive action plans.
- Maintains appropriate measures of performance to drive root cause analysis and subsequent corrective actions.
What We Offer:
Irving Shipbuilding is proud to offer a competitive salary and benefits package, including but not limited to:
- A flexible medical, dental, and vision plan
- Employee & Family Assistance Programs
- RRSP matching program
- Health & Wellness reimbursements
- Opportunities to take part in job related training and development.
- Growth and progression opportunities within Irving Shipbuilding and the larger network of the JD Irving group of companies
- Relocation costs (if eligible)
Please be advised that some positions within our business have been designated as ‘Safety Sensitive’ where the employee holding the position has a heightened responsibility for his/her own safety or the safety of others due to the nature of the job. If this is the case, you will be informed in the interview process.
For further details, please contact Talent Acquisition at email@example.com.
To Apply for this Career Opportunity:
Please complete the online application form. An up-to-date resume of past experience and education is required.
All applications will be reviewed by one of our recruiters. If the recruiter sees a potential opportunity (current or future) that matches your skills and experience, you will be contacted to discuss your qualifications for a position with Irving Shipbuilding.
We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
To learn more about our products and services, click here.
Irving Shipbuilding Inc. is committed to the principle of equal opportunity in its employment practices and to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment for all employees.
We do not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies, and we are not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.