Program Support Officer – Appendix D/Temporary Assignment (September 2023 – February 2024)
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Support
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Appendix D/Temporary Assignment (September 2023 – February 2024)
Hours: Monday to Friday; 35 hours/week
Home Campus: Fennell
Pay Band: E
Rate of Pay: $27.81
Posting Date: September 18th, 2023
Closing Date: September 22nd, 2023 at 7:00pm EST
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. We are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive (EDI) environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk College. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Program Support Officer
This position provides front-line administrative support to all programs and service courses within the McKeil School of Business, School of Creative Industries, Liberal & Administrative Studies and Communication. The incumbent provides customer service to students, faculty, support staff, advisory committee members, and general public inquiries. The incumbent must be able to function at a level that requires independent problem-solving and decision-making skills in the execution of the various and complex activities and issues.
The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to:
- Provide information and general advice to students, support staff and faculty regarding college procedures, office procedures, exemptions, appeals, academic dates and referring to services offered through Mohawk College (i.e. Counselling / ALS / HR / Payroll etc.).
- Providing course outlines requested by former students or other institutions through electronic mail and in person, as requested.
- Liaises between faculty and students, providing front line service in order to handle inquiries from students.
- Book rooms on behalf of any departmental staff member – spot bookings/specialty lab bookings (approving specialty lab requests as required).
- Answer and forward departmental emails including but not limited to credit transfer emails.
- Assist faculty with any classroom concerns by triaging and reaching out to college departments for a remedy on staff’s behalf.
- Booking/signing out AV equipment – following up with requester if item is not returned.
- Provide front line triage support for SSA/SSC appointments.
- Use internal software programs, Banner, FAST Suite, Academic Reporting Tool, COMMS.
- Arranging guest parking, guest speaker letters, rooms etc. for department staff.
- Assists with orientating new staff - access to classes/offices/setting up computer/printer/troubleshooting and guiding to other staff members if question is outside scope (payroll/timesheets/LMS).
- Composing, typing and filing, internal and external correspondence as directed by manager, Dean, AD, or AAD.
- Organizes, prepares and revises academic related information for distribution.
- Distribution of incomplete profiles, grade change forms, and other departmental forms while maintaining the confidentially of individual student records, personal student and faculty information and financial information for the department.
- Prepares and mails letters of academic offences according to college policies.
- Ensures student appeals are processed in accordance with policy directives.
- Reviews, verifies, and sends Dean’s Honour lists, graduation lists, and any other registrar functions for signature and mailing.
- Assists faculty with departmental textbook orders, custom courseware and obtaining desk copies from publishers.
- Produces and edits manuals for the department under direction of supervisor.
- Providing feedback and possible solutions to the Operations Manager and Associate Dean regarding refining work methods and techniques to improve accuracy and efficiency within the department and maintaining a high level of customer service.
- Gather quotes for academic related experiential learning on behalf of staff and faculty.
- Invigilator organization – gather invigilator requirements for department.
- Process any supplemental department offerings/certificates – i.e. Insurance licensing.
- Compiles and organizes necessary data on behalf of the Operations Manager and/or Associate Dean for special projects, funding proposals, research, newsletters etc.
- Assisting students with registering and adding/dropping courses within the first 10 days of each semester.
- Supports the collection of medical or other documentation related to class related accommodations not handled through Accommodations Office in accordance with Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA).
- Prepare program specific certificates/letters (outside of program credential).
- Organizes all aspects of college and departmental events such as Program Career Launch, Destination College, Open House etc.
- Organizes all aspects of departmental meetings, such as program advisory committee, faculty, coordinator, staff etc. including taking and distributing of minutes where required and related correspondence, and updating membership lists.
- Reviews website to ensure content is current – recommends new changes and updates website in a timely manner or escalates to Marketing to be updated.
- Providing assistance with calendar pages, program pages, marketing materials, coordinating updates and reviewing for accuracy.
- Assisting faculty with activities associated with start-up each semester.
General Office Duties
- Orders and ensure stock of office supplies for support and faculty as well as academic forms (i.e. grade changes, incompletes, scantrons, foolscap etc.) maintaining appropriate levels of office supplies and ensuring all equipment is in working order.
- Troubleshoots and arranges for maintenance and installation of departmental office equipment and photocopiers.
- Distributes and retrieves mail and printing.
- Ensure phone lists/contact sheets are kept up to date – request card access / keys for departmental staff / printer access.
- Assists with CSEP applications, resumes and follow up paperwork.
- Sends applicant packages and books interviews for new intakes of students in programs that use this as an admissions process.
- Maintain department LMS pages to share program related information with students such as volunteer opportunities, job opportunities and campus workshops.
- Maintain and tidy departmental offices, shared spaces, hoteling, filing cabinets, surfaces – connect with Hurley as required/requests for garbage, vacuum, windows, carpet steaming etc.
Other duties as assigned
The successful applicant must have:
- A minimum of 2-year post-secondary diploma in Business/Office Administration, or related field; equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Three years of practical and related experience in an educational environment where there is a strong emphasis on interpersonal skill and customer service, preferably a post-secondary setting.
- Knowledge of Microsoft office products is essential, including Access, Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Familiarity with Mohawk College programs is desirable; including, MyMohawk mail and groups, Fast Suite, ART, SCT Banner.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace. This would include experience communicating and working effectively with diverse clients and colleagues.
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, S2LGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca