Professor, Automotive Service Technician (310S)
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Academic
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Full Time
Hours: Monday to Friday; between 8:00am to 10:00pm
Home Campus: Fennell
Rate of Pay: Commensurate upon qualifications and experience
Payband: Not applicable
Posting Date: May 23rd, 2023
Closing Date: June 5th, 2023 at 7:00 pm EST
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. Supported by a new strategic plan we are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
Professor, Automotive Service Technician (310S)
The Electrical, Transportation & Innovation department of the Mohawk College Marshall School of Skilled Trades & Apprenticeship requires a full-time professor to teach in the Automotive programs at the Fennell and Stoney Creek Campuses.
Under the direction of the Associate Dean, Professors in this department are responsible for providing academic leadership and for developing an effective learning environment.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Teaching theory and practical application components
- Creating a positive, sustainable and innovative student-centered learning environment in both the classroom and laboratory settings
- Using a variety of teaching strategies most appropriate for the curriculum for both postsecondary and apprenticeship
- Using a variety of techniques to evaluate student achievement of learning outcomes
- Managing the educational environment to facilitate an optimal learning experience and student success
- Evaluating, revising and developing learning resources within the program
- Enhancing educational delivery and experiences using the College’s MyCanvas learning management system and other technology to facilitate student learning
- Applying College values and philosophy to work activities and interaction with others
- Using the College’s MyCanvas learning management system to present curriculum, testing and online activities
- Participating in program quality assurance, innovation, applied research and accreditation activities
- Participating in program, school, faculty, and college-wide student recruitment, industry & community engagement and marketing activities
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful applicant will have:
- A Certificate of Qualification as an Automotive Service Technician 310S with demonstrated expertise specifically in SSB, Drivelines and Engines
- Minimum of 5 years experience working as a Certified Technician
- Electric Vehicle and Hybrid Servicing and Maintenance Training & Experience (preferred not required)
- Certificate of Qualification as a Truck & Coach Technician 310T and/or Auto Body Technician 310B (preferred not required)
- Related teaching experience, preferably in a post-secondary/apprenticeship setting, is considered an asset
- Adult education teaching certificate (preferred not required)
- Post-secondary diploma or degree in a related field (preferred not required)
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively inter-culturally with diverse groups of students, employees and the community
The successful applicant must be familiar with aspects of the automotive service apprenticeship areas such as:
- Engine, Fuel and Drive Train Systems
- Electrical / Electronics and Emissions Systems
- Suspension, Steering and Brake Systems
- Occupational Health and Safety Act
The successful candidate must have an ability to relate theoretical knowledge and practical applications through innovative delivery methods so as to provide a meaningful learning environment for students of diverse backgrounds and ages. The ability to work as part of a team and demonstration of excellent interpersonal and communication skills are essential.
Faculty members hired at Mohawk College must be prepared to teach with a learner-centered approach and to assist in the development and application of alternate delivery methods. They may be assigned to teach classes at any College Campus and may be scheduled to teach between 8:00am and 10:00pm, Monday to Friday. Teaching on weekends is also possible.
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, S2LGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca/