Pest Control Technician – Eligibility List
City : Toronto/Downtown
Category : Integrated Pest Management
Industry : Real Estate and Rental and Leasing
Employer : Toronto Community Housing Corporation
Please note this posting will remain open until the current vacancy if filled.
Please note: An Eligibility List will be created from this competition and will be in effect for up to six (6) months for future Temporary and Permanent Pest Control Technician positions that may become available.
What we offer
In addition to competitive wages and a rewarding career where you can truly make a difference, we offer a comprehensive compensation package that meets the various needs of our diverse employees, including:
- Three Weeks paid annual vacation days, increasing with years of service;
- Four (4) paid personal days;
- Defined benefit pension plan with OMERS, includes 100-per-cent employer matching;
- Health and dental benefits;
- Employee and family assistance program;
- Maternity and parental leave top up (93% of base salary);
- Training and development programs including tuition reimbursement of $1500 per calendar year.
- Fitness membership discount
Make a difference
Do you see yourself working for one of the largest social housing providers in North America that is dedicated to improving the lives of its residents? Are you a dynamic, service oriented individual who is eager to learn and expand on current skill sets within Integrated Pest Management? If this sounds like you, then we have an opportunity you won’t want to pass up!
The Pest Control Technician will would be responsible for the administration of Pest Control service contracts as well as providing support services in Environmental Health under the supervision of both the Senior Manager and Supervisor of Integrated Pest Management in the Operations division.
This position will provide effective liaison and technical expertise for Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Pest Control services in order to promote efficient pest control within Toronto Community Housing units for the purpose of limiting, reducing and/or eliminating pest problems through IPM practices and reducing the use of pesticides. This position will promote staff and resident awareness of preventive pest control practices.
This position will provide support expertise and inspection/investigative services for Asbestos Containing Materials Inventory and Mould Management Program portfolio wide.
What you’ll do
- Facilitate proper scheduling of treatment of units
- Monitor the compliance of contractors’ treatment of units to specifications standards
- Monitor chemicals regarding compliance with contract requirements and Pesticides Act
- Perform pest control services when required
- Inspect buildings and/or units to establish treatment plan and report specific problem areas
- Maintain records of units and/or buildings treated and pest occurrence investigations, both manually and in customized computer database
- Ensure contractor pest control technicians have current provincial licenses as per contract requirement
- Liaise with staff and service companies to resolve problems that may arise with service
- Monitor units in buildings to determine treatment as per provisions under the IPM principles
- Determine as per IPM process, whether to utilize chemical, mechanical or biological controls to treat, prevent, mitigate, and or eliminate pest infestations
- Prioritize various service requests in order of urgency and delegate services as needed
- Conduct sporadic and annual asbestos inspections to determine whether corrective action is required
- Investigate complaints, conduct inspections for all mould-related occurrences, write inspection reports and advise on remediation
- Maintain and ensure an organized hard-copy filing system
- Liaise with contractors, staff, tenants, tenant reps, Health Department Inspectors, Property Standard Officers, City Councilors (as requested), various outside agencies and city officials to ensure that pest problems and related conflicts are resolved amicably
- Maintain a non-bias opinion when reporting and documenting various levels of contractor and/or staff service deficiencies
- Provide minor maintenance service when dealing with minor maintenance deficiency repairs such as rodent proofing
- Perform various pest control service applications
- Create work orders, update computer work order upon completion of task
- Assist in the development of new methods of service delivery and provide input to service processes including scheduling and appropriate reporting as needed
- Assist in the promotion and selling of Pest Control/Environmental Services Program
- Inspect and investigate Environmental Health issues such as designated substances and provide appropriate support (e.g. monthly inspection of PCB storage space and update PCB logbook according to regulations, arrange for disposal of PCB’s, advise on various chemicals in relation to WHMIS Regulations)
- Provide support in termite control
- Investigate and report mosquito breeding locations
- Treat mosquito breeding locations with larvicides and/or arrange for treatment of catch-basins according to legal requirements.
- Attend tribunal in cases of pest control issues
- Investigate and resolve potential biological hazards such as pigeon droppings, bat harbourages and heavy mouse infestations
What you’ll need
- Valid Ontario Structural Exterminators License
- A minimum of 4 years of experience in Pest Control or diploma/degree in related area
- Knowledge of The Pesticides Act; Statutes of Ontario and Regulations
- Knowledge of all pesticides (except Fumigants), their hazards, first aid procedures, and the tools used to apply them
- Ability to obtain licenses for Mosquito, Biting Flies and Termite Control
- Awareness of various designated substances in the workplace in relation to environmental health
- Demonstrated ability and comprehensive knowledge of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) principles, methodology and procedures
- Experience with Microsoft Office
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Analytical and mathematical skills to compile information and determine thresholds
- Excellent organizational and self motivating skills to work independently
- Ability to maintain diplomacy and resolve situations when conflicts arise
- Ability to provide counsel and advise client staff and contractors
- Valid driver’s license with clean driver's abstract
Once you apply, we’ll review your resume and cover letter to determine if your skills and experience match the qualifications for the role. Only qualified candidates will be contacted to move forward in the hiring process. If you are contacted, the process will include an interview, written/practical test, and reference check.
Candidates for unionized positions must score a minimum of 70% to pass any interview or assessment and be considered for the next stage of the recruitment process. Successful candidates will be determined based on score and where applicable, union seniority. Not all candidates who score 70% or higher will automatically proceed to the next stage of the recruitment process as this will be dependent on the number of candidates and number of available roles.