Manager, Training Projects – Special Project (June 2023 – June 2025)
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Admin
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Special Project (June 2023 – June 2025)
Hours: Monday to Friday
Home Campus: Fennell
Pay Band: 10
Rate of Pay: $78,295 - $97,869
Posting Date: May 9th, 2023
Closing Date: May 19th, 2023 at 7:00pm EST
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. Supported by our strategic plan we are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
Manager, Residential Construction Training Projects
The Manager, Residential Construction Training Projects will lead and manage all aspects of specially-funded workforce-based projects primarily focused on supporting the Residential Construction industry. This position focuses on the planning, execution and finalization of the project according to strict deadlines and within budget. This includes acquiring resources and coordinating the efforts of team members and external stakeholders or consultants in order to deliver projects according to plan. This position will also define the project’s objectives and oversee quality control throughout its lifecycle.
In addition to the above, this position is responsible for engendering collaborative relationships and productive partnerships with the College’s multi-stakeholder constituencies. The incumbent must possess exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
Strategy and Planning
- Define project scope, goals and deliverables that support project goals in collaboration with senior management and stakeholders.
- Effectively communicate project expectations to team members and stakeholders in a timely and clear fashion.
- Liaise with project stakeholders on an ongoing basis.
- Set and continually manage project expectations with team members and other stakeholders.
- Plan and schedule project timelines and milestones using appropriate tools.
- Track project milestones and deliverables.
- Determine the frequency and content of status reports from the project team, analyze results, and troubleshoot problem areas.
- Define project success criteria and disseminate them to involved parties throughout project life cycle.
- Conduct project post mortems and create a recommendations report in order to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements.
- Develop best practices and tools for project execution and management.
Acquisition and Deployment
- Estimate the resources and participants needed to achieve project goals.
- Draft and submit budget proposals, and recommend subsequent budget changes where necessary.
- Where required, negotiate with other department managers for the acquisition of required personnel from within the company.
- Determine and assess need for additional staff and/or consultants and make the appropriate recruitments necessary during project cycle.
- Direct and manage project development from beginning to end.
- Develop full-scale project plans and associated communications documents.
- Delegate tasks and responsibilities to appropriate personnel.
- Identify and resolve issues and conflicts within the project team.
- Identify and manage project dependencies and critical path.
- Develop and deliver progress reports, proposals, requirements documentation and presentations.
- Proactively manage changes in project scope, identify potential crises, and devise contingency plans.
- Coach, mentor, motivate and supervise project team members and contractors, and influence them to take positive action and accountability for their assigned work.
- Build, develop and grow any business relationships vital to the success of the project.
Other duties as assigned.
The successful applicant must have:
- An undergraduate degree: education and educational administration, business development and management, human resource administration, project management. Post graduate accreditation such as a Certified Human Resources Professional (CHRP), Certified Training and Development Professional (CTDP), Project Management Professional (PMP). Graduate degree: MBA, MEd, MS in Management, MS in Project Management, etc. are an asset.
- Minimum of 5 years progressive work experience within the construction industry.
- Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborate environment.
- Can conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Reacts to project adjustments and alterations promptly and efficiently.
- Ability to read communication styles of team members and contractors who come from a broad spectrum of disciplines.
- Ability to elicit cooperation from a wide variety of sources, including upper management, clients and other departments.
- Ability to bring project to successful completion through political sensitivity.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Adept at conducting research into project-related issues and products.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment is crucial.
- Strong familiarity with project management software.
- Client service skills, time management, budgeting, organizational skills, professionalism, attention to detail, leadership skills, facilitation skills, event planning, data analysis.
- Strong communication skills, both written and oral.
- Self-starter, comfortable with establishing own priorities.
- Technically competent with various software programs, such as MS Project, MS Visio, MS Office.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively inter-culturally with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, S2LGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca/