Manager, Health and Safety
City : Fort Saskatchewan, AB
Category : Full Time Operational Services
Industry : Mining and Quarrying
Employer : Sherritt
Sherritt is a world leader in the mining and refining of nickel and cobalt – metals essential for the growing adoption of electric vehicles. Sherritt’s Technologies group creates innovative, proprietary solutions for natural resource-based industries around the world to improve environmental performance and increase economic value. Sherritt is also the largest independent energy producer in Cuba.
Across all of our operations, safety is our top priority, and we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive culture. We offer a work environment where team members are truly valued and have what they need to thrive in their role and make a meaningful impact.
An exciting opportunity exists in our Sustainability team at our Fort Saskatchewan plant site as Manager, Health and Safety.
The Safety Manager position leads the design and delivery of a Health and Safety business plan for the Corefco and Sherritt Fort Site organizations (“Metals”) that aligns with the overall Metals strategy with a 3 to 12 month time frame.
- Provide input into and support the implementation of the 2 year business plan for Sustainability that aligns with the Metals overall strategy.
- Design and implement a 3 to 12 month plan for field safety, occupational hygiene, and safety tool crib functions that aligns with the 2 year business plan for Sustainability.
- Provide technical expertise as input into the development of field safety, occupational hygiene and safety tool crib standards and procedures.
- Lead safety, occupational hygiene, and tool crib statistics, KPIs, and input into site and board reporting activities.
- Lead level 2 incident management including investigating and input on incident classifications and complete appropriate regulatory reporting within scope.
- Ensure standards, procedures, and training are developed and maintained to comply with all current in-scope regulatory and legal requirements and industry standards.
- Ensure that adequate and qualified personnel are fulfilling field safety, occupational hygiene and safety tool crib positions.
- Ensure that field safety, occupational hygiene and safety tool crib practices are reviewed, evaluated, updated and continually improved as required.
- Recommend classification of all incidents consistently and adequate investigation of all serious and high potential incidents within scope.
- Establish and maintain a high level of employee engagement within the field safety, occupational hygiene, and the safety tool crib teams via effective communication (top down and bottom up) and aligned culture.
- Optimize field safety, occupational hygiene, and safety tool crib performance by embedding best practices, instilling a culture of continuous improvement and lean thinking, implementing technical innovation, and improving management systems.
Qualifications and Skills
- 5+ years of related experience and/or training equivalent combination of education and experience
- 1-2 professional designations in the areas of safety, occupational hygiene (CRSP, ROH, ROHT, etc.)
- Experience and knowledge of continuous improvement (OE) practices
- Experience in energy, minerals or chemical production industry
- Experience with regulators, industry standards and other external stakeholders within scope
- Solid understanding of safety and occupational hygiene legislation and practices
- Understanding of Sherritt/ME products, processes, facilities and performance relative to peers is considered an asset
- Formal investigation experience
- Business planning and implementation (3 to 12 months time frame)
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal, including public speaking, and presentation skills
- Analytical skill set to turn data into useful business information
- Change management, leadership and influencing skills
- Organizational change and project management skills
- Competitive wage with comprehensive benefits and retirement savings programs that holistically support employee wellbeing
- Generous paid time off to support and empower employee work/life balance
- Ongoing learning and professional development opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and dynamic work environment
We thank all candidates for their application. Only qualified candidates will be contacted directly and engaged in the interview process.