Learning Facilitator – Regular Part Time
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Support
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Regular Part Time
Hours: Up to 24 hours/week
Home Campus: Fennell
Rate of Pay: $20.56
Posting Date: May 18th, 2023
Closing Date: May 25th, 2023 at 7:00pm EST
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. Supported by a new strategic plan we are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
The Learning Facilitator (LF) supports teaching and learning activities related to all initiatives and mandates of Mohawk College. The primary role is to assist the students in CICE (Community Integration through Co-operative Education) to maximize his/her potential in postsecondary education. The incumbent advocates, intervenes and acts on behalf of the students with faculty, other College students and with College wide service departments. With standing instructions and in collaboration with and under the guidance of faculty, the LF assists faculty to assess the student’s aptitude & skill and to assist with learning materials.
The LF provides accommodations for students using adaptive technologies as required and supports students with individual learning strategies & study skills, in some cases based on modified course outlines. The LF provides administrative support to the students and works to promote the programs throughout Mohawk College and the broader community.
The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
Provides academic support by:
- Supporting each scheduled class by supplementing class material to assist student learning.
- Utilizing standing instructions from faculty and in collaboration with faculty assist students to achieve learning outcomes, tests/exams and assignments to meet individual student needs.
- Extracting important concepts from the course content and supplementing class material for student use.
- Developing skills profile study strategies for students in collaboration with faculty.
- Assist in outside class learning (develop study guides, review questions or project outlines).
- Supporting a variety of learning strategies (including supporting the student through note-taking, the use of adaptive technologies, computer program/software), and setting up and assisting with the use of adaptive equipment when needed (in and out of class).
Acts as a liaison between students, college faculty and staff by:
- Providing a smooth transition for students into college/academic life.
- Attending classes with student to promote smooth integration with other students and faculty.
- Promoting inclusion of students in College social activities.
Assisting with the continued success of the College Program by:
- Promoting the program internally to Mohawk faculty/staff, and externally to local and regional agencies, schools, employers, and/or businesses.
The successful candidate will have:
- A minimum of a 2 year Educational Assistant Diploma, Developmental Service Worker Diploma, Child and Youth Worker Diploma, Autism Behavioural Diploma, Social Service Worker Diploma, or an Education, Special Education or Social Science Degree or equivalent.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience working with persons with learning challenges in an academic environment. This includes working with persons with disabilities, developmental disabilities, Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), mental health, significant learning disabled and brain injuries or at risk.
- Proficient in the use of computer software including adaptive technology.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively inter-culturally with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, S2LGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca/