International Admissions Officer – Partnerships (I/O: Dec. 2023 – May 2024)
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Support
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Initiatives & Opportunities: December 2023 – May 2024
Hours: Monday – Friday, 35 hours/week
Home Campus: Fennell
Rate of Pay: $32.42
Posting Date: December 4th, 2023
Closing Date: December 8th, 2023 at 7:00 pm EST
Please be advised that according to Full Time Support Staff Collective Agreement, Article 17.1, preference will be given to qualified employees within the Full Time Support Staff bargaining unit, Appendix D (in the role for 6 consecutive months) and RPT employees who have passed probation at Mohawk College. Should a suitable candidate not be found, external candidates will be considered.
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. We are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive (EDI) environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk College. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
International Admissions Officer – Partnerships
Reporting to the Manager, International, the International Admissions Officer (Partnerships) is responsible to co-ordinate admission activities for post-secondary and post graduate programs in support of our partner locations, with the goal of admitting qualified applicants to the College’s established strategic enrollment targets. In alignment with Mohawk College’s mission and values, the incumbent admits, supports and manages qualified applicants from applications through pre-registration.
The incumbent is responsible for applying and interpreting College and Canadian Immigration guidelines and policies as they apply to ESL and postsecondary students and advising international applicant, agents, college staff and community accordingly.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Evaluating academic documentation from applicants, including English language test scores, secondary school transcripts from secondary school, post-secondary, to determine eligibility for admissions into post-secondary programs and English for Academic Purposes (EAP)
- Assessing and interpreting transcript evaluations and identifying pre-requisite subjects or equivalencies
- Determining equivalency to Ontario standards for foreign transcripts and educational documentation
- Ensuring international applicants meet Ministry and College admissions requirements and selection criteria
- Researching foreign qualifications and country-specific education systems to ensure a full understanding of documents presented, using standards established by the World Education Service (WES) and Education Credential Evaluators (ECE)
- Ensuring specific access criteria is met (according to country) where express visa programs (i.e. Student Direct Stream) are in place, prior to issuing an offer
- Maintain accurate applicant records to support strategic enrolment decisions outreach with applicants who do not confirm with Mohawk College or make a fee payment to provide information to assist them in making the decision to attend Mohawk
- Support special project application including government scholarship programs and business development initiatives
- Admitting applicants to the confirmed program of choice through International SIS and generating correspondence to the new student for the upcoming semester.
- Creation of pre-admission letters, acceptance letters, record of payment, scholarship letters, as assigned in the International SIS, to ensure new student enrolment targets are met, and make recommendations where additional enrolment could be achieved.
- Communication to applicant and/or partner through the International SIS and ApplyProof
- Manage waitlists to determine who the next qualified applicants are considered when space is available – regular communication with applicants to ensure wait lists current and continue to have potential
- Monitoring and maintenance of applicant information in International SIS
- Managing and maintaining electronic files in multiple locations (ie IAS, ISP, Banner and BDM) and ensuring all necessary documentation is received
Applicant Status Changes
- Ensures refunds are processed within established service standards in the current process and IAS.
- Acknowledgement of requests received through the online deferral request form and International SIS confirming request details
- Ensuring requests are reviewed and a decision is made (needs more information, approved or denied), in accordance with established service standards
- Reconciliation of outstanding files and customer communication to ensure file is maintained accordingly
Applicant and College Support
- Responding to specific questions from all applicants related to their academic path, course load, co-op placements, course exemptions, course of study or immigration procedures.
- Liaising with applicants while analyzing a problem, interpreting policy and guidelines and ultimately offering a solution. The incumbent must work within Immigration’s and College policies, procedures and guidelines.
- Verifies and updates the various procedure documentation (for staff and students) regarding visa process, application procedures, developing and maintaining information resources and in-house references by country
- Act as a subject matter expert on admissions requirements specific for international applicants with academic areas for the purpose of new program development or changes in admissions procedures
- May attend recruitment events providing support to market specialist
Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have:
- A minimum of three-year post-secondary diploma/degree in Business Administration, Marketing, International Business, Communications, or related fields; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of three years of experience in a College setting dealing with members of a diverse background
- Experience of post-secondary and English as a second language programs and admissions processes including transcript evaluation.
- Experience with heavy emphasis on verbal and written communication and providing strong customer service.
- Mandatory computer software applications, Integrated Information systems/databases, Microsoft Office and Web
- Recognized credential evaluation training through World Education Service (WES) and/or Education Credential Evaluations (ECE) is an asset.
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, 2SLGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca/