Intermediate Power Systems Studies Engineer
City : WINNIPEG
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Intermediate Power Systems Studies Engineer - ( 230004OP )
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
The Power Systems Studies Engineer will perform a wide range of power systems studies, and modelling which could include power flow, short circuit, protection coordination, protection settings, transient stability, cable ampacity, insulation coordination. Power systems studies, and modelling of electromagnetic transient simulation (EMT) can be included as well. The Power System Studies Engineer shall read, understand the scope of the studies, provide Requests for Information (RFI) as required, complete the report of the studies based on the applicable industry standards and/or the clients standards including the study inputs, the results, the conclusions, and the recommendations, then obtain approval from the Power System Studies Team Lead to issue the completed report.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Perform power system modelling and studies on PSCAD, EMTP-RV, PSS/E, PSLF, DIgSILENT, ETAP, CDEGS, CYME etc.
+ Power flow
+ Dynamic analysis
+ Short circuit
+ Harmonic studies
+ Insulation coordination studies
+ Protection settings
- Providing the study report
+ Engineer shall read, understand the scope of the studies, provide Requests for Information (RFI) as required, complete the report of the studies including the study inputs, the results, the conclusions, and the recommendations, then obtain approval from the Power System Studies Team Lead to issue the completed report.
+ Develop and compare technical solutions for projects and prepare comprehensive study report.
- Review technical documentations.
- Meet with clients to discuss solutions.
- Assist/Lead proposal development.
- Manage time, scope and budget of assigned projects.
The followings can be considered as assets for the position:
- Control system design and coordination of FACTS and HVDC; including STATCOM, inverter-based renewable generation, etc.
- AC network reduction and dynamic performance studies
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Deep understanding of electrical power system and power electronics theory.
- Experience with PSS/E and/or PSLF required.
- Experience with other power system simulation tools such as EMTP-RV, DIgSILENT, PSCAD, is preferred.
- Exceptional communication skills, including both writing and public speaking/presenting.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to effectively explain and discuss solutions with clients.
- Self-motivated and able to collaborate harmoniously with a group of professional engineers.
- Willing and able to travel.
Education and Experience
- Minimum Master's Degree in Electrical Engineering, Ph.D. degree preferred.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in power systems/power electronics, inverter-based renewable generation.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #FeelingEnergized
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Manitoba-Winnipeg
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Organization : BC-1265 Energy-CA Central
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Nov 17, 2023, 12:25:53 PM
Req ID: 230004OP
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans