Intermediate Electrical Engineer
City : Brockville, ON
Category : ERI - Resources
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
WSP is currently seeking an Intermediate Electrical Engineer to join our Brockville office. Reporting to the Manager, Electrical Engineering, this position will be responsible for executing the electrical power distribution and control system design engineering efforts for the growing Ontario Resources team. The Ontario Resources team works closely with other WSP offices to build the best team to meet clients project needs.
As an Intermediate Electrical Engineer within the Resources team you will work on both new construction and brownfield projects. The Resources team provides service to mining, industrial, manufacturing, institutional and government clients. You will apply your electrical engineering design knowledge on project work from conceptual design and studies through to project completion. Effective communication, technical quality, cost effectiveness, building and maintaining client relationships, and providing guidance to a team of designers are integral parts of this role.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
- Safety Focus including consideration of safety in design, construction and operations;
- Designs in areas with hazardous classifications (i.e., flammable gases, combustible dusts);
- Experience with arc flash analysis and software;
- Specifications for Switchgear, MCCs, transformers, and other electrical components;
- Experience in power distribution, motor control and lighting design;
- Electrical systems design to support clients/other disciplines/departments/offices in the areas of responsibility;
- Application of regulations to area of expertise and ensuring compliance;
- Incorporation of safety and risk analysis into equipment designs;
- Perform engineering calculations;
- Ability to work with a minimum of instructions, complete tasks independently, make decisions and take responsibility on technical matters;
- Design management with input from other senior managers on technical decisions;
- Industrial site reviews and evaluations for design verification / implementation;
- Travel to various client sites, attend project meetings and conduct field reviews;
- Coordination with various departments and offices required for project implementation;
- Write and review technical reports, and construction specifications;
- Cost Estimating review and assistance;
- Build client relationships and respond to client requests
- Mentor junior staff
- Design of specialized control and/or communications systems a benefit;
- Electrical control system design including control panel layouts, component selection, and schematics;
- Design and integration of control system communications networks including HMI and fiber optics a benefit;
- Integration of field instrumentation, sensory devices and the associated safety systems into an overall controls package to enable a fully-functional industrial control system a benefit;
- Other duties as assigned.
What you'll bring to WSP ...
- Minimum of 5 years experience in electrical engineering and design;
- Be fluent in the English language with excellent verbal and written communication skills with working knowledge of the Microsoft suite of programs,
- Registered Professional Engineer in Ontario, other provinces/states a benefit;
- Working knowledge of CSA standards, ANSI standards, IEEE standards, Ontario Building Code, and other applicable codes;
- Working knowledge of power system modelling software;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with working knowledge of the Microsoft suite of programs;
- Must be able to attend industrial sites and observe all applicable safety regulations;
- Project experience in mills, smelters, mines, industrial sites, infrastructure, refinery, ports, material handling, pulp and paper is beneficial;
- Experience with renewable energy systems a benefit;
- Working knowledge of industrial instrumentation, controls, communications and automation a benefit;
- Control system (PLC, DCS, HMI) programming ability a benefit;
- Working knowledge of control system modelling software a benefit;
- Must possess a valid driver’s license;
- Must possess a team player attitude and be able to work in project team environment.