Intermediate Bridge Engineer
City : OTTAWA
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Intermediate Bridge Engineer - ( 230004KZ )
We create great places and the connections that get people and goods moving—whether by car, bus, train, plane, or their own two feet. Working within the context of the communities we serve, we provide planning, engineering, and infrastructure management services that fit the needs of our clients and improve the overall transportation experience. Join our team and help us keep communities connected.
Stantec’s Transportation Team provides planning, design and construction administration services for roadway, highway, transit/rail, bridge and related transportation infrastructure. We are currently seeking a self-motivated experienced Intermediate BridgeStructural Engineer with proven experience as a bridge/structures engineer to join our ever growing Bridges team of professionals and technical experts in Ottawa, Ontario.
The Bridge team is involved in the pursuit and delivery of bridge, structure rehabilitation and design projects, culvert projects and other structural infrastructure projects in the National Capital Area and throughout Eastern Canada, with the ability to support other Stantec ofﬁces throughout Canada and the US. In this role you will get to use your knowledge and understanding of bridge engineering and construction methods to manage and successfully deliver multidisciplinary bridge inspection, analysis, rehabilitation, and design projects for both private and public sector clients, from planning through to detailed design stages and into construction.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Producing, supervising, and managing the creation of engineering products on a wide variety of bridge, culverts and other structural rehabilitation and new design projects from concept through construction that meet and exceed customer quality requirements.
- Working both independently and as part of a team to define the problem, establish the work scope, prepare budgets and schedules, plan the work, and provide technical direction and oversight.
- Performing complex technical engineering tasks efficiently and accurately, while leading and mentoring less experienced team members.
- Preparing and checking detailed engineering calculations and models, drawings, specifications, quantities and cost estimates, detailed technical reports, procurement documents, design packages, proposals, and detailed analyses.
- Providing technical engineering services during construction, including the review of contractor submissions.
- Frequently coordinating and collaborating with other Engineering disciplines and departments.
- Building and maintaining effective working relationships with clients.
- Performing inspections of existing complex bridges and other structures including coordinating and leading inspection teams and specialized sub-consultants, providing renewal and repair recommendations, and completing life cycle cost analyses.
- Contributing to successful project pursuits, including determining budget estimates and staffing requirements and writing winning proposals.
- Performing Project Management duties including assembling and managing project teams, controlling project budgets and schedules, quality control of deliverables, client interaction and management, and financial reporting.
- Working to tight project schedules while ensuring quality of project deliverables.
- Providing input and technical guidance to CAD Designer/Drafters, Designers, and less experienced Engineers working on the same and other projects.
- Ensuring compliance with all applicable codes and regulations.
- Frequent local travel within the National Capital Region for site inspections and client meetings.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Strong communication, interpersonal, problem-solving, and collaborative skills.
- Ability to provide effective technical mentoring to less experienced engineers.
- Practical working knowledge of the Canadian Highway Bridge Design Code (CSA S6), and the MTO Structural Rehabilitation Manual, Structural Manual, and design policies standards and specifications.
- Technical knowledge of bridge engineering design and analysis principles.
- Excellent technical report writing experience and skills.
- Proficiency in 3D modelling analysis software.
- Valid driver’s license and own vehicle.
- Able to travel and work in Eastern Ontario
- Recent experience in successfully delivering projects for the City of Ottawa, Public Services and Procurement Canada, National Capital Commission, and the MTO, and having an in-depth understanding of their staff, policies, and procedures.
- Fully bilingual in English and French.
- Industry-recognized Project Management certification.
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Bridge or Structural Engineering.
- 4-year degree in Civil or Structural Engineering (or related field) from a recognized post-secondary institution.
- 7 years or more of recent progressive related bridgestructural engineering design experience, including inspection, analysis, load-rating, design, and construction experience. Seismic analysis and design experience is an asset.
- Licensed Professional Engineer in Ontario (or eligible for registration).
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Ottawa
Organization : BC-1636 Transpt-CA Ontario East & Atlantic
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 20 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Nov 10, 2023, 12:10:04 PM
Req ID: 230004KZ
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans