Intake Counsellor – Temporary Assignment (September 2021 – April 2022)
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Academic
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Temporary Assignment (September 2021 – April 2022)
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
Posting Date: July 14th, 2021
Closing Date: September 24th, 2021 at 7:00pm EST
Reporting to the Manager, Student Wellness & Counselling, the Intake Counsellor will work within the multidisciplinary team to provide students with mental health support and counselling services to address barriers to academic success while at Mohawk College.
The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Conduct intake, including accepting disclosure of sexual violence, self-harm, and other complex mental health needs, in a manner that ensures confidentiality, well-being and safety of individuals concerned
- Provide crisis and drop-in counselling to at-risk students
- Provide triage services to support and stabilize students by making referrals to internal services such as counselling services, accessibility services, financial services, residence or external resources such as hospitals, crisis response services, police, or other community supports
- Actively participate, as part of a multidisciplinary Wellness Team, to ensure best practices and student safety
- Serve as a liaison between students, social services, community organizations, law enforcement, security, campus departments/officials, employers, landlords, and other agencies
- Maintaining timely clinical records in accordance with college and professional standards
- Demonstrate cross-cultural competence and understanding of the complexity of elements impacting our diverse student population in relation to values, culture, communication styles, beliefs and practices
- Engage campus and community-based supports to meet the needs of our student population within a stepped care model
- Create, promote and facilitate health and wellness promotion activities, departmental resources, as well as psychotherapeutic and psychoeducational groups for students
- Support the Manager with college contact tracing related to COVID-19, as required
- Master’s level degree in a counselling related professional discipline (Social Work, Psychology) that includes a supervised clinical internship(s) or BScN with mental health/crisis intervention focus (CPMHN (C) preferred)
- Must have and maintain the right to practice the controlled act of Psychotherapy within the Province of Ontario.
- A minimum of 5 years of full-time experience working with complex mental health
- Experience providing trauma informed, psychosocial interventions and crisis counselling required
- Knowledge of the risks and complexity of issues impacting emerging adult populations
- Demonstrated ability in crisis intervention
- Demonstrated flexibility and the ability to respond quickly to changing demands
- Proficiency in using technology to compliment clinical care and experience using an EMR/CRM platform strongly preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to personal integrity, human rights, equity, diversity, and inclusion with experience working effectively inter-culturally with diverse groups of students, employees, and the community
Mohawk College is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes. Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the HR Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons/persons of colour, women, Indigenous/Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.