HVDC Project Engineer
City : WINNIPEG
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
HVDC Project Engineer - ( 2300046U )
Join a team that does more than generate and deliver electricity through its work; join a team that powers growth and advances communities. Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized power group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or grid modernization, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in transmission & distribution, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Stantec’s Winnipeg office is looking for a HVDC Project Engineer to work with our globally recognized team on interesting and important HVDC projects around the world. As an HVDC project engineer you will support our clients by performing front end engineering design activities, developing technical specifications, evaluating tenders, reviewing design submissions, witnessing factory tests and supporting commissioning activities.
The position will also participate in business development activities, participate in industry association technical subcommittees, write technical papers as well as prepare and present technical presentations.
Your Key Responsibilities
The ideal candidate will have 5 plus years of experience in study, design, specification, construction, testing and commissioning of HVDC and FACTS transmission systems and posses some or all of the following skills.
- Knowledge of the application and operation of HVDC/FACTs technologies in power systems.
- Knowledge of HVDC/FACTS system design including knowledge of equipment including valves, cooling, reactors/capacitors, transformers, controls etc.
- Experience in preparing technical specifications and tender documents for HVDC converters and FACTS devices, evaluating bids, performing design reviews, witnessing factory tests and on site commissioning.
- Knowledge in the control and protection of HVDC/FACTS technologies including witnessing and reviewing results from factory and on site testing.
- Knowledge of applicable codes and standards related to HVDC transmission and FACTS.
- Strong oral, written and presentations skills.
- High level of interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to travel.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Performing and leading assigned project tasks with minimal supervision.
- Participating in business development activities including proposal preparation and presentations as required.
- Guiding, mentoring and training of junior staff in the area of HVDC/FACTS.
- Representing the company in industry association working groups.
- Maintaining strong client and industry relationships.
- Staying current with industry developments.
Education and Experience
- BSc in electrical engineering required, MSc or Phd in electrical engineering desirable.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
- Registered or eligible for professional registration in Canada or the US.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather. There is consideration that this position can be remote work, if desired.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #FeelingEnergized
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Manitoba-Winnipeg
Organization : BC-1265 Energy-CA Central
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Oct 13, 2023, 12:45:17 PM
Req ID: 2300046U
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans