LOCATION: Calgary, Alberta (CA-AB)
JOB NUMBER: 23367
Why you should join us:
Are you passionate about stewarding geotechnical risks across our site in both operating and closure environments? Would you like to build positive relationships with our operations and construction group? How about working to promote integrity with all aspects of risk reduction and continuous improvement? Reporting to the manager, geotechnical engineering, you will be responsible for the geotechnical aspects of waste dumps, reclamation stockpiles, tailing facilities (dykes), and pit wall structures that are associated with both mining and closure landform applications.
You will use your expertise to:
- Deliver and manage complex engineering designs for dykes, pitwalls and dumps/stockpiles suitable for submission to government for approval
- Work at different levels of projects from conceptual to detailed design as required for the stage of the project
- Liase with partners including planners, regulatory, projects, operations and construction groups to deliver safe, robust and reliable engineering designs
- Be part of a team to deliver the project for Suncor’s best interests and problem solve issues that arise in the field
- Complete projects as a delivery of IFC to stakeholders
- Handle technical issues and ensure geotechnical integrity through all of the life cycle stages
- Craft technical projects such as weak pre-sheared soils, liquefiable material, fine tailings all within an operating environment.
- Present and steward projects to external review boards for risk identification
- Work within the geotechnical group to continually improve our standards, procedures and dam safety programs
- Mentor and build strong positive relationships with junior and intermediate staff
- Contribute to technical advancement of staff in other groups
- Work with external technical groups for the advancement of geotechnical and tailings engineering
We’d like to review your application if you have…
Must-haves (minimum requirements):
- Relevant engineering experience in large mine and tailings civil earthworks projects, which include, design, construction and operations
- Engineering degree in Civil/Geological/Mining engineering
- Presently registered or eligible to register immediately with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta
- Possess a valid driver’s licence with a clean driving record
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite, AutoCAD and geotechnical modelling software (Geostudio, FLAC, etc.)
- Effective communicator that is capable of understanding, anticipating and responding to the ongoing needs of mining, tailings and reclamation engineering
- Proven project management skills and leadership abilities
- Well-developed critical thinking, with an ability to apply logic and challenge assumptions, conclusions and make appropriate recommendations
- You hold others accountable and expect others to do the same
- Ability to contribute to a team environment while at times working independently
- Alignment with our values of: safety above all else, respect, raise the bar, commitments matter and do the right thing
- Master’s degree in Geotechnical Engineering
- Experience in the energy or mining environment is strongly preferred
Where you’ll be working, your work schedule, and other meaningful information:
- You will work out of our Calgary head office, located in the Suncor Energy Centre at 150 – 6th Ave S.W.
- Hours of work are a regular 40-hour work week, Monday to Friday
- Site travel will be required occasionally
We are Canada's leading integrated energy company with a business portfolio that includes oil sands development and upgrading, offshore oil and gas production, petroleum refining, and product marketing under the Petro-Canada brand. Our global presence offers rewarding opportunities for you to learn, contribute, and grow in a variety of career-building positions. We live by the value of safety above all else – do it safely, or don’t do it. Our strong track record of growth and a focus on sustainability mean tremendous potential for the future. Learn about our mission, vision and values.
In addition to rewarding job opportunities, we offer an attractive employee package, including:
- Competitive base salary, compensation programs, and an annual incentive program
- Flexible benefits package
- Rewarding pension and savings plans
Stay connected to us:
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from all qualified individuals. We are committed to providing a diverse and inclusive work environment where every employee feels valued and respected. We will consider accessibility accommodations to applicants upon request.
Please note that our job postings are typically open for two weeks, so don't delay, apply now.
JOB CATEGORY: Engineering