Facilities Support Generalist
City : Surrey, BC
Category : 4000-Facilities
Industry : Education
Employer : Kwantlen Polytechnic University - KPU
Kwantlen Polytechnic University
KPU offers all learners opportunities to achieve success in a diverse range of programs that blend theory and practice, critical understanding, and social and ethical awareness necessary for good citizenship and rewarding careers. KPU strives to implement initiatives that will attract, support, engage, and retain KPU’s people and create an environment where all employees see themselves as contributing to student learning.
JOB OVERVIEW: FACILITIES SUPPORT GENERALIST
Reporting to Facilities Supervisor, this position directly impacts the experience of KPU students, staff and community, and as such this role provides positive and effective communication, helpful demeanor and a can-do attitude. Specific functions of the role include ensuring the safety of campus occupants; taking a proactive approach to identifying and responding to the physical needs of the campus; supporting a comfortable working and learning environment as aligned to KPU’s mission, vision and values. The Facilities Support Generalists work to; ensure the University’s buildings, operations systems and grounds are physically and aesthetically ready to support the needs of campus users and guests; liaising with contractors to manage access, exchanging information; providing support to their work and ensure the instructional environment is minimally impacted; identifying, analyzing and implementing best solutions in emergency situations; and protecting university assets and restoring campus business continuity.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Certification of Trades Qualification and/or a two-year diploma in a related field preferred or an equivalent combination of experience, education and training. Demonstrated competency using a variety of hand and power tools and grounds equipment.
- Proven ability to trouble shoot, identify and analyze problems; consider multiple solutions; maintain highly effective communication and implement the best possibilities and follow-up to confirm the desired outcome has been achieved. Ability to recognize errors or omissions and rectify them.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the methods, practices, tools, used in electrical, plumbing, carpentry and mechanical trades. Demonstrated knowledge of building systems including; life safety and building management.
- Occupational First Aid Level 2.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing and the ability to listen, understand and communicate clearly and effectively both in person and utilizing available technology.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision Superior organization and time management skills in completing projects, prioritizing work and meeting multiple overlapping demands with frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrated ability to interact effectively within a diverse educational community including students, faculty, employees and the general public exhibiting excellence in customer service; highly effective and respectful communications; calmness and resourcefulness while resolving emergent issues.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with security and emergency situations.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise good judgement and show initiative.
- Proven ability to perform heavy physical work.
- Experience with computer programs and applications within a windows environment computerized maintenance management system (CMMS), building management systems and demonstrated ability to use and troubleshoot standard office equipment, including copiers would be an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to deal effectively with external companies, including understanding the role and responsibilities of contractors would be an asset.
- Demonstrated ability to positively relate to people from diverse educational and cultural backgrounds; to take a leadership role in emergency situations and deal effectively with a wide variety of contractors and service providers
- Ability to travel to other campuses.
- Familiarity with building systems including life safety and building management controls.
- Several years experience working in building maintenance and on building systems and equipment would be an asset.
- Valid class 5 Driver’s License is an asset.
click here for a more detailed job description
Does this role sound like it was made for you, yet you don’t check every box?
We at KPU understand that experiences and qualifications may look differently for everyone and, if this job description is of interest to you, we encourage you to apply.
Note to Applicants:
Kwantlen Polytechnic University welcomes and encourages applications from equity deserving groups and diverse experiences including, but not limited to, Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, and members of the 2S/LGBTQIA+ community.
If there are any barriers that you are experiencing or an accommodation that we can provide to support you through the application process, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with KPU. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Kwantlen Polytechnic University is committed to protecting the safety and welfare of employees, students, and the general public, and upholding the reputation and integrity of the University. For this reason, final applicants will be asked to undergo a background check.