Equipment Engineer – Substations
City : BURNABY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Equipment Engineer - Substations - ( 2400008M )
Join a team that has been partnering with our clients for more than 100 years to improve the quality of life around the world. We operate with the strength of a $7B company paired with the agility of a specialized power and dams group, to deliver some of the most iconic and cutting edge projects around the world. This proud legacy has fostered a culture of innovation and safety, leading our team to design the world’s most impactful power and dam projects vital to both local and global communities.
Whether helping to define microgrids, pushing the boundaries on clean energy or electric grid modernization, you’ll find yourself working with leaders in power delivery, thermal generation, and renewable energy in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
Stantec’s Power team in Burnaby BC is currently offering exciting opportunities for Equipment Engineers to work on a variety of HV (69kV and above)/EHV (287kV and above) AIS/GIS AC and DC substation projects throughout North America.
Equipment Engineers are responsible for major equipment such as power transformer, STATCOMS, station service transformer, circuit breaker, HV/MV GIS, metal-clad switchgear, disconnect switch, circuit switcher, fuse cut-out, instrument transformer, series capacitor, shunt reactor, surge arrester, wave trap, NGR, power cables, etc. for HV/EHV AC and DC substation projects. They will work within a multi-disciplinary team to develop efficient and reliable substations for our clients. They will coordinate the planning and technical activities to maintain project schedules and ensure successful project completion.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Prepare technical specifications for major equipment, construction and Testing & Commissioning.
- Provide technical support for procurement, construction and commissioning.
- Review and approve vendor drawings for new equipment.
- Review and approve test results from pre and post testing work, sign off on Test Report Cover Sheet (TRCS) for new equipment.
- Review field delegation report to check work is done satisfactory.
- Develop safe engineering solutions by using initiative and judgement to perform activities such as developing designs, analyzing and resolving problems, and interpreting engineering specifications on complex assignments for projects and/or operations.
- Perform periodic tasks independently which may include on-site construction quality control and monitoring to ensure design compliance.
- Engage with engineering team where engineering problems are difficult, complex, or unusual to support management of engineering risk.
- Assist in preparing proposals, project plans and estimate.
- Coordinate with other disciplines during project execution to solve challenging technical issues.
- Follow internal QA/QC procedures to deliver high quality engineering service to the clients.
- Design/Engineering in Electrical may be required in order to complete deliverables.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Field experience in testing & commissioning is an asset.
- Proven knowledge in Structural, Electrical and P&C is an asset.
- Excellent computer skills, including familiarity with Microsoft Office, AutoCAD, Microstation.
- Effective interpersonal skills (written, verbal) are a must in interaction with multi-disciplinary teams, suppliers, contractors and client relationships.
- Demonstrated capability to efficiently handle multitasks.
- Valid Class 5 BC driver’s license.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering (specialization in Power System) with minimum 8 years of proven direct equipment engineering experience related to high voltage substations for Utilities in North America.
- Professional Engineer registered with the Engineers and Geoscientists BC (EGBC).
Typical office environment working with computers; Stantec offers a flexible work environment (a hybrid model of working in the office and at home). Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #FeelingEnergized
We would like to thank all candidates that apply; however, only those selected for interviews will be contacted.
Pay transparency laws require employers to provide the following information for positions that may be in the following jurisdiction(s):
- $88,300 - $128,000 Min/Max Pay Range for postings located in BC
The final agreed upon compensation is based on individual education, qualifications, experience, and work location. At Stantec certain roles are bonus eligible.
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Burnaby
Organization : BC-1182 Energy-CA West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Jan 23, 2024, 8:37:58 AM
Req ID: 2400008M
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans