City : Mississauga, ON, CA
Category : Enforcement
Industry : Government/Public Services
Employer : City of Mississauga
Req ID: 22928
Vacancy Type: Part-Time
Number of Positions: 30
Closing Date: 04/10/2023
Love kids and being outdoors? Want to be a part of the school community?
A part time job for just a few hours of the day. Here's the opportunity for you! We are hiring Crossing Guards for various locations in Mississauga.
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Supervisor, Crossing Guards the successful candidate:
- Assists pedestrians in safely crossing roadways at designated school crossings
- Communicates rules of safe crossing to both students and adults
- Must ensure compliance to the Highway Traffic Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, and the City's Respectful Workplace Policy. etc.
- Must wear supplied safety clothing and use all safety equipment as per training by the Supervisor, Crossing guards and /or Team Leader, Crossing Guards and/or Field Leader/Crossing Guards.
- May assist in training other crossing guards if requested.
- Must report incidents at the crossing to the supervisor, following up with the school officials and/or Peel Regional Police as directed by Supervisor.
Skills and Qualifications
- Must be in good physical condition in order to be able to stand and walk holding a stop sign for up to one hour at a time in all weather conditions
- Must demonstrate good hearing and eyesight
- Should have good interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be able to work independently without direct day to day supervision
- Must be available to work 3 shifts per day during the school year, at school entry, lunch and dismissal times as per the provided hours of duty
- You will be working 3 shifts consisting of up to 3.5 hours a day, during an 8 hour window
Hourly Rate/Salary: $ 16.41 - $ 17.28
Hours of Work: up to 17.5 hours /week
Work Location: Mavis Yard: Common Building
Department/Division/Section: T&W/Transportation&Works Dept , T&W/Traffic Mgt & Municipal Parking Div , Traffic Services & Road Safety
Non-Union/Union: Non Union
A Criminal Record and Judicial Matters Check (Level 2) or Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can also check your application status in your candidate profile online.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.