Coordinator – Emergency Management
City : CAN - AB - Edmonton
Category : EMCI-Readiness Program Management
Industry : Civil and Social Organizations
Employer : Canadian Red Cross
Title: Coordinator - Emergency Management
Employee Working Location: Office/In-person (Edmonton, AB)
Employment status: Temporary full time (10 months)
Salary band: $46,983 - $58,729/year
The Canadian Red Cross (CRC) – one of the most inspirational not-for-profit organizations on this planet and an awardee on the Forbes list of Canada’s Best Employers 2022 - is seeking a Coordinator - Emergency Management to join our team.
We are guided by our Fundamental Principles of humanity, impartiality, neutrality, independence, voluntary service, unity, and universality. We help people and communities in Canada and around the world in times of need and support them in strengthening their resilience.
Starting with the hiring process, we are committed to having an accessible, diverse, inclusive, and barrier-free work environment where everyone can reach their full potential. We encourage all qualified persons who share our values and want to contribute to fostering an inclusive and diverse workplace to apply.
The incumbent will lead assigned programs and initiatives within the EM mandate, including, but not limited to, volunteer management, preparedness and response activities, and external relationship building. The EM Coordinator will also promote public awareness of Red Cross programs and services. During response operations, the EM Coordinator will plan, organize, implement and supervise the CRC Level 1 & 2 response teams and services to support affected household and community responses.
In this role, you will:
- Contribute to workforce planning assessments by identifying local operational needs, gaps, and promotions within the volunteer workforce.
- Be responsible to directly support as well as engage teams in volunteer sourcing initiatives to achieve set targets as part of the defined recruitment strategies and tactics.
- Ensure completion of local and program-specific onboarding and orientation activities with volunteers.
- Implement and lead programmatic volunteer engagement through regular communication, activities and informal recognition, as well as support centrally managed engagement activities including those developed or rolled out by the Volunteer Engagement and Experience (VEE) Manager.
- Coordinate disaster risk reduction and readiness activities in an all-hazards approach with particular emphasis on relevant risks, and in line with CRC Readiness Standards;
- Participate in the development and preparation of program objectives and work plans as required;
- Ensure that Red Cross supplies and assets are inventoried, maintained, tracked and deployed as per the logistics plan, in agreement with Supply Chain Management/Logistics;
- Coordinate and support emergency preparedness and awareness activities within the assigned area including annual campaigns such as Emergency Preparedness Week, Fundraising campaigns, etc.;
- Supervise and contribute to the development and support the implementation of Emergency Response Plans (ERPs) in accordance with programs standards, including workforce planning;
- In times of small-scale localized responses, support or lead the set up and operation of responses in community, based on request from EM leadership;
- Play a key role during local, provincial and national disaster and emergency responses as required including Duty Officer coverage as assigned;
- Build partnerships with stakeholders including assigned local and municipal governments representatives, NGOs, police and fire departments as well as community leaders in a continuous effort to enhance response capacity.
What we are looking for:
- University degree or community college diploma in one or more of the following disciplines; volunteer management, project management, community development, emergency management, planning and evaluation or a related field and a minimum three (3) years experience at a community-based program level
- Volunteer Leadership/Management Skills
- Previous experience working with volunteers is required
- Demonstrated knowledge or connection to the community in the area of responsibility;
- Demonstrated experience in development of plans and exercises.
- Experience and training in media relations and public speaking.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English
- Ability to successfully manage multiple projects at one time, strong time management skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
- Valid Standard/Emergency First Aid Certification or willingness to complete training
- Valid Provincial Class 5 driver’s license
- Preference may be given to a candidate with a background in emergency management.
- May be required to work non-tradition hours, be on call and respond to emergency/disaster related requests
- Work-related travel is a regular requirement of the job including into remote communities during all seasons
- Please note that there is no relocation package for this position.
- Eligibility to work in Canada: At this time, we welcome applications from candidates eligible to work in Canada. If you are not a citizen or permanent resident of Canada, we encourage you to carefully review your visa to find out whether you are eligible to work in the job you are considering applying for. Refer to our FAQ for more information.
- If you are selected for this role, you will be required to complete a successful pre-employment screening process which includes a satisfactory Enhanced Police Information Check (E-PIC).
- At this time, the CRC has temporarily suspended our Covid-19 vaccination policy and does not require but continues to strongly encourage full vaccination of all our personnel.
Qualified applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible - those who apply after the selection process has started may be held for a second review if needed OR reviewed for alternative roles. We appreciate the time and effort it takes to apply and thank you in advance.
If you require accommodation measures during any phase of the hiring process, please notify us as soon as possible. All information received in relation to accommodation requests will be kept confidential.