Clinical Supervisor – Practical Nursing/PSW Programs (Temporary Part Time: Sept 2023 – Dec 2023)
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Support
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Temporary Part Time (September 2023 – December 2023)
Hours: Up to 24 hours/week
Home Campus: IAHS
Rate of Pay: $42.38
Posting Date: May 12th, 2023
Closing Date: Open until filled
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. We are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive (EDI) environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk College. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
Clinical Supervisor – Practical Nursing and Personal Support Worker Programs
The role of the Clinical Supervisor is:
- To provide PN/PSW students with appropriate learning experiences that require the use of critical thinking skills and accurate judgements within an environment that is physically and intellectually demanding.
- To assist students to meet PSW-practice learning objectives in their clinical experiences.
The duties of this position include, but are not limited to:
Supervises and monitors ongoing client care provided by students by:
- Utilizing set educational guidelines, policies and procedures of the clinical agency and educational institution, and Guidelines for Professional Standards
- Being prepared to intervene when client condition suddenly changes and student is either unprepared to handle the situation, student is not at the required level to deal with a complex medical crisis, or when student performs in an unsafe manner.
- Making changes to clinical assignment and organizational plan in order to accommodate unanticipated events
- Working collaboratively with faculty and other clinical supervisors to determine and implement an effective learning environment
Provides students with appropriate learning experiences in acute and long-term health care settings by:
- Selecting clients for student care according to level and ability of the student.
- Reviewing and clarifying the practice course expectations.
- Maintaining an effective and harmonious relationship with members of the health care team, the students, clients and their families, and medical staff.
Assesses students’ performance in providing client care by:
- Adhering to the learning outcome criteria and using established forms and evaluation tools as written and prepared by the course professor.
- Recording observations on student clinical performance and sharing the written notes with students. Providing verbal clarification if necessary.
- Seek input from clinical agency staff especially when there is an incident or area of concern regarding a student’s performance.
- In consultation with the clinical coordinator/professor, determining if students’ clinical performance has met the course learning outcomes in relevant Personal Support Worker courses
Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have:
- Minimum 2 year diploma in Practical Nursing
- Current RN or RPN license, with no restrictions, with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Minimum of 2 years of recent clinical experience in an acute care or long term care setting required
- Position will include varying shifts and may include weekends
- Basic computer literacy
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
The successful candidate will also be able to meet the clinical clearance requirements by August 1, 2023 and they must remain current for the full semester. These requirements include:
- Vulnerable Sector Police Check (Clear PRCVS, completed within the last 6 months)
- Tuberculin Skin Test (one step valid for one year)
- Flu Vaccine (Recommended, mandatory in some clinical settings)
- Mask Fit (valid for two years)
- Gentle Persuasive Approach (valid for two years)
- COVID-19 Vaccine (booster mandatory for some clinical settings)
- CNO Registration (RPN/RN/NP), active with no restrictions
- CNO Reflect Before You Post webinar and quiz (further information provided upon hire)
- Prep LTC and OWL preceptor course (one-time completion)
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, S2LGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca/