City : TORONTO
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Airports Architect/Planner - ( 2300052H )
Stantec Buildings is on a mission to become the world’s leading integrated design practice. Our architects, engineers, interior designers, sustainability specialists, and technologists are passionate about the power of design. We take an innovative, collaborative approach to projects, sharing a common belief that sustainable design for the built environment can make the world a better place for future generations. Join us and design your place with Stantec.
Stantec’s airport design practice in Toronto is growing. Clients trust us with the design of entire airport terminals, major expansions, and internal enhancement projects. Uniquely among our competitors, we are a fully integrated airport design practice. We mirror our clients by providing all their consulting needs, from airport and land use planning, pavement, road and bridge design, municipal engineering, environmental and noise consulting, all building design disciplines, through to interior and retail design. And our architects are the integrators of that offering.
To continue our growth, we need more talented architects specialized in airport design. Most urgently, we need a mid-career architect to lead the planning and design of airport terminal projects.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, physical models, electronic models, diagrams, massing studies, and other visual formats.
- Responsible for managing complex tasks on airport-related projects.
- Assists in the planning, organization, and directing of the work throughout the life cycle of the project.
- Keeps the Principal in Charge informed of progress on project expectations, deadlines, and deliverables.
- Participates in design critiques and pin-ups.
- Interprets and applies airport design standards, building codes and requirements of other regulatory agencies.
- Prepares and revises documentation in various architectural phases including site plans, floor plans, building elevations, building sections and details.
- Leads project coordination and meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner, contractor and sub-contractors.
- Participates in client project requirement meetings and value analysis.
- Participates in constructability reviews.
- Prepares and ensures that work conforms to project budget, schedule, and overall work planning.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
This is for you if you can tick all these boxes:
- You are looking for an opportunity to plan and design significant airport terminal projects.
- You have a degree in architecture or something equivalent.
- You are registered as an architect somewhere, or you are on a path to registration, ideally in Ontario.
- You believe that good design is multi-disciplinary in essence.
- You draw and sketch by hand, whether on paper or digitally. You can illustrate your thoughts and ideas eloquently.
- You are keenly interested in airports and read about them. You understand the airport business. You can talk about how airports around the world have solved different problems.
- You understand how airports work - all their processes and how they interrelate - inside and outside the terminal.
- You understand how airport processes and processors can be configured in different ways, depending on their context. You know that if you have seen one airport you have seen one airport.
- You love design and innovation, so you want to design the world’s best airport and have some ideas of how you can do that.
The more of these boxes you can tick, the more we want to talk to you:
- You are a mid-career, developing professional with a bright future.
- You have some education in airport planning, whether academic, through an industry association, or through self-study.
- You have some experience of all aspects of professional practice, from proposals to contract administration.
- You care about people and the ecology of the world, and you design primarily for passenger and staff experience and the health of the planet, while still meeting all operational requirements.
- You can determine and enhance the capacity of each processor in a terminal building, and you have some experience designing most of them.
- You can create a list of spaces required in a terminal building and determine their appropriate sizes and connections, working from first principles.
- You can read and understand airport masterplans, aviation forecasts, and aviation planning studies.
- You are a good listener and maintain healthy client relationships. Clients trust you because you reliably do what you said you would. You do what it takes to deliver on your promises.
- You get on easily with people and can lead a small, happy team.
- You are a good public speaker and present your designs skillfully. You make complex ideas simple so people can understand you.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in Architecture, or equivalent Bachelor’s of Architecture.
- Registered Architect preferred.
- Minimum six years of architectural experience.
- Minimum of five years airport terminal design experience.
- Strong portfolio of airport work.
- LEED and/or Passive House accreditation preferred.
Please include a copy of your portfolio along with your resume for consideration.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #DesignYourPlace
Benefits Summary: Regular full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
The benefits information listed above may not apply to union positions because benefits for such positions are governed by applicable collective bargaining agreements.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Toronto
Work Locations :
Organization : BC-1400 Buildings-CA Ontario GTA
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Dec 21, 2023, 8:35:29 AM
Req ID: 2300052H
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans