Structural Engineer, Buildings
City : SASKATOON
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Structural Engineer, Buildings - ( 210002MI )
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
You will work with general supervision and direction on medium sized projects, and as a team member on larger projects under the guidance of a Senior Engineer/Designer. You will be required to design various building structures on a range of projects of differing complexity and construction value.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Structural design of building structures and facilities, including calculations and preparation of related document.
- Engage in the development of structural systems and preparation of design details through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats.
- Utilize BIM technologies in development of three-dimensional models of building’s structural systems and provide markups for junior engineers/designers.
- Lead project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Participate in client project requirement meetings and value analysis.
- Assist senior staff with developing and managing the project scope, budget, staffing and schedule.
- Preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents.
- Participate in constructability review.
- Conduct quality assurance and quality control on own projects.
- Assist in the development of new standards and specifications for the structural group.
- Work on multiple projects.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Thorough knowledge and experience in the application of National Building Code and other relevant design codes and standards.
- Strong knowledge of structural systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Advanced knowledge of seismic design of building structures and structural design software such as SAP, ETABS, SAFE.
- Good understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought.
- General understanding of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Experience with Revit and AutoCad is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills along with an ability to work either independently or with team members in a multi-disciplinary environment.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering with structural concentration & Licensed Professional Engineer. Minimum 5-6 years of solid experience in the structural design of building structures, preferably with significant experience in steel and concrete construction. Experience in the design of timber and masonry construction is also a requirement. Experience in construction reviews and report preparation is an asset. Experience in the design of industrial buildings will be considered an asset.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Saskatchewan-Saskatoon
Job : Structural Engineer
Organization : BC-1133 Buildings-CA Saskatchewan
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Oct 25, 2021, 7:13:19 AM
Req ID: 210002MI
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans