City : TORONTO, Ontario, Canada
Category : Audit | Compliance | Legal | Risk
Industry : Financial/Banking
Employer : RBC
Come Work with Us!
At RBC, our culture is deeply supportive and rich in opportunity and reward. You will help our clients thrive and our communities prosper, empowered by a spirit of shared purpose.
Whether you’re helping clients find new opportunities, developing new technology, or providing expert advice to internal partners, you will be doing work that matters in the world, in an environment built on teamwork, service, responsibility, diversity, and integrity.
What is the opportunity?
As a Senior Counsel, Privacy, you will support the goals of the Vice President & Associate General Counsel, Banking & Enterprise Services, and the Assistant General Counsel, Financial Crimes & Data Protection, in achieving the business/operations, strategic priorities and operational performance goals of the Law Group, in particular the performance commitments of solution oriented advice and responsiveness. You will also provide legal services across the enterprise, focusing on legal and regulatory matters relating to federal and provincial privacy requirements, contract negotiations, breach and incident support, regulatory reporting, Consumer Anti-Spam Legislation, and related matters.
What will you do?
- Regulatory – Act as key senior legal advisor to RBC enterprise businesses and functions and be responsible for providing legal advice and thought leadership on existing and new federal, provincial and territorial legislation (including issues of jurisdiction) impacting privacy and CASL requirements, including providing sound, creative and practical advice on the application of legislation to complex and emerging areas.
- Strategy – Work closely with Assistant General Counsel in advising the business on strategic initiatives in new and emerging areas that involve privacy.
- Third Party Contracts – negotiate privacy aspects of third party supplier and client agreements, and support the remediation of agreements in the wake of the Schrems II decision. In the case of privacy breaches and incidents, review relevant supplier agreements to articulate legal obligations and consider implications of any breach thereof. From time to time, and advises procurement team on improved contract provisions.
- Legal strategy - Creates new precedents and/or engagement frameworks that align to the enterprise strategic objectives in the areas of innovation and legal risk tolerance in order to enhance delivery of timely, effective and innovative legal services.
- Industry advocacy – participate in multiple Canadian Bankers Association work streams and other groups to promote a rational business perspective on interpretation of new and draft laws, and align industry approaches. Potentially support the development of industry codes of practice as contemplated by proposed Canadian privacy legislation.
- Coordinate with functional partners on new initiatives to mitigate legal risk and ensure compliance.
- Collaborate with Global Compliance and lawyers across the Law Group supporting all the platforms and corporate functions to advise on areas of specialty and help mitigate related risk across all impacted lines of business.
What do you need to succeed?
- Bachelor of Law Degree (Common Law or Civil) from a recognized law school. Membership in provincial/territorial law society or bar association. Called to the Bar in any Canadian Province or Territory
- Knowledge of Law – Demonstrate expert knowledge in privacy and contract law. Maintain currency on changes to laws, regulations, rulings, interpretations and jurisprudence in areas of specialization.
- Ability to communicate effectively and concisely and influence in a variety of formats and venues
- Ability to work with a high degree of autonomy
- Ability to analyze legal risk in context of business realities, and be flexible in approach
- Experience analyzing proposed legislation, advocating for change, and interpreting requirements for businesses to operationalize
- Experience contemplating the interplay between federal and provincial law with respect to federally regulated entities and their provincial subsidiaries
- Deep knowledge of the businesses and functions facilitating alignment between legal advice and strategic priorities
- Ability to work at all levels of management and team members, and build a strong network of peers and partners
- IAPP certification in any jurisdiction
What’s in it for you?
We thrive on the challenge to be our best, on progressive thinking to keep growing, and on working together to deliver trusted advice to help our clients succeed. Working in collaborative teams, we care about each other, reaching our potential, making a difference to our communities and achieving success that is mutual.
- Become part of a dynamic, collaborative, progressive, inclusive, respectful, and high-performing team
- Sophisticated tools, including RBC software, training, and the support you need to develop your career
- Continued opportunities for attractive career advancement
- A comprehensive Total Rewards Program including pension and flexible benefits
- An excellent onboarding and ongoing training program
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Employment
At RBC, we embrace diversity and inclusion for innovation and growth. We are committed to building inclusive teams and an equitable workplace for our employees to bring their true selves to work. We are taking actions to tackle issues of inequity and systemic bias to support our diverse talent, clients and communities.
We also strive to provide an accessible candidate experience for our prospective employees with different abilities. Please let us know if you need any accommodations during the recruitment process.
Join our Talent Community
Stay in-the-know about great career opportunities at RBC. Sign up and get customized info on our latest jobs, career tips and Recruitment events that matter to you.
Expand your limits and create a new future together at RBC. Find out how we use our passion and drive to enhance the well-being of our clients and communities at rbc.com/careers.