Senior Business Systems Analyst
City : Toronto
Category : See Posting
Industry : Financial Services/Government
Employer : Ontario Securities Commission
Senior Business Systems Analyst
Information Services Branch
The Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) is the statutory body responsible for regulating Ontario’s capital markets in accordance with the mandate established in the provincial Securities Act and the Commodity Futures Act. The Commission’s mandate is to provide protection to investors from unfair, improper or fraudulent practices, to foster fair and efficient capital markets and confidence in capital markets, and to contribute to the stability of the financial system and the reduction of systemic risk. This mandate is performed through policy, operational, adjudication and enforcement work. The OSC also contributes to national and global securities regulation development.
We offer an inclusive, diverse, fair and flexible work environment, and take pride in our challenging and rewarding work.
The Information Services Group supports the full spectrum of OSC employees' information needs, ensuring that the organization can effectively regulate Ontario's capital market. Specifically, Information Services is responsible for system development and support services. Branch staff partner with managers and directors to develop solutions that both streamline operations and consolidate efforts to best effect across all points of information technology.
The Senior Business Systems Analyst serves as a liaison between Business, Business Analysts and I.S. in gathering and comprehending business requirements needed for system modifications, enhancement, and implementations. They are responsible for initiating and facilitate process design changes by conducting business and systems process analysis, then creating a highly detailed and complex logical design and detailed system requirements specification documentation. This role will focus on quality improvement and data management to ensure that data quality and reliability. Also, developing process improvements, integrate new systems and those processes with existing ones, and partner with stakeholders to ensure systems provided meet the long-term business strategies.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Understand the business goals, priorities and objectives of the client area
- Liaise with business and business analysts to understand business requirements and convert them into systems requirements documents.
- Provide guidance, support, assistance to IS and business staff in the application best practices as they pertain to the initiative.
- Ensure project activities are aligned with OSC and business area requirements and priorities.
- Manage relationships with business, developers and test engineers through structured communication (e.g., system requirements specifications document, data mapping documents, workshops, reports, etc.) to keep the project moving.
- Identify and utilize methods to gain insight and remain current with business opportunities, priorities, and requirements and technology changes.
- Lead, facilitate and document workshops different stakeholders (e.g. business, business analysts, developers and test engineers).
- Act as the principal Information Services resource in the implementation of business solutions by building relationships and partnerships with key stakeholders; identifying business needs; determining and carrying out necessary processes and practices; monitoring progress and results; recognizing and capitalizing on improvement opportunities; and adapting to competing demands, organizational changes, and new responsibilities.
- Produce required initiative analysis documentation; for example, system requirement specification, data mapping documents business requirements document, scope matrix, use cases, sequence diagrams, future state proposals, system design specification.
- Perform a gap analysis documenting differences between “as-is” and “to-be” functionality.
- Facilitate workshops including requirements gathering and joint application development sessions.
- Collaborate closely and provide guidance to developers and test engineers during the build and test phases to ensure requirements are fully understood.
- Participate in the creation of post implementation lessons learned documentation.
- Translate requirements into system requirements document for application development and testing.
- Ensuring data integrity by creating clear data mapping documents and supporting both developers, testing team and business through the development and testing activities.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Computer Science or related technical discipline.
- 7+ years of professional experience as a Business Systems Analyst, ideally within services industry.
- Training in both systems improvement and business process improvement
- Expert understanding of workflow type applications
- Ability to work autonomously and absorb a lot of information in a short amount of time o quickly ramp up on new projects;
- Significant experience working in an Agile environment;
- Ability to understand business needs and to document them into Business Requirements and System Requirements;
- Strong Interpersonal & leadership skills;
- Excels within a team environment – strong coaching/mentoring skills;
- Strong organization and planning skills;
- Solid communication and presentation skills;
- Is conscientious and resourceful with a strong skill set in process documentation and improvement.
- Ability to scrutinize, investigate and find information from ambiguous situations;
- Strong understanding of relational databases, systems development and data management
- Proficient in SQL, SoapUI, Postman, Visio, database tools (e.g. DBeaver and IBM Data Studio), XML reviewing tools (e.g. AltovaXML and Oxigen XML Editor)
- Demonstrates initiative by using professional expertise to anticipate and mitigate business problems.
Preference will be given to candidates who also have;
- Previous coding experience
Grow your career and make a difference working at the OSC!
To be considered for this opportunity, please apply online by March 28, 2023 at 11:59 pm EST.
**Internal candidates: please apply using the Taleo profile created with your OSC email address.**
We thank all applicants for their interest and will contact those selected for an interview.
The OSC is committed to diversity and providing an inclusive workplace and providing accommodation in accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and the Human Rights Code. It is our priority to ensure employment opportunities are visible and barrier-free to all under-represented groups including but not limited to, Indigenous, Black and racialized groups, people with disabilities, women and people from the LGBTQ2S community, to achieve an employee demographic profile reflective of the demographic profile of Ontarians.
The OSC is a proud partner with the following organizations: BlackNorth Initiative, Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion, and Pride at Work Canada.
If you require an accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting our confidential inbox HRRecruitment@osc.gov.on.ca.
Visit Accessibility at the OSC to review the OSC’s policies on accessibility and accommodation in the workplace.