Security Services Agent
City : Banff
Category : Security
Industry : Charitable and Non-profit
Employer : Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity
Security Services Agent
Banff Centre for Arts and Creativity aims to inspire everyone who attends our campus – artists, leaders, and thinkers – to unleash their creative potential.
We acknowledge, with deep respect and gratitude, our home on the side of Sacred Buffalo Guardian Mountain. In the spirit of respect and truth, we honour and acknowledge the Banff area, known as “Minhrpa” (translated in Stoney Nakoda as “the waterfalls”) and the Treaty 7 territory and oral practices of the Îyârhe Nakoda (Stoney Nakoda) – comprised of the Bearspaw, Chiniki, and Goodstoney Nation – as well as the Tsuut’ina First Nation and the Blackfoot Confederacy comprised of the Siksika, Piikani, Kainai. We acknowledge that this territory is home to the Shuswap Nations, Ktunaxa Nations, and Metis Nation of Alberta, Region 3. We acknowledge all Nations who live, work, and play, help us steward this land, and honour and celebrate this place.
Banff Centre is looking for an experienced Security Services Agent to provide a safe, secure, and hassle-free environment for all Banff Centre staff, participants, and visitors. Responsible and customer-service minded, our Security Services Agents perform patrol duties for the purpose of general law enforcement and risk management; manage parking and traffic; as well as provide physical security for all Banff Centre buildings and property.
- Patrol Banff Centre campus, including both exterior grounds and building interiors, either by vehicle or by foot
- Remain alert to the physical environment, arranging for the removal of any safety hazards discovered during patrol
- Respond to and deal with all reported incidents and emergency situations and prepare and submit reports on the actions required
- Assist in investigations under any Criminal Code or Provincial or Federal Statute offence
- Assist in investigating breaches of any related Banff Centre policy
- Conduct interviews to probe and obtain accurate facts
- Provide “Safe Walk” escort to staff (including cashiers and box office personnel), participants, and visitors
- Provide security services for Banff Centre special events
- Monitor alarm and closed-circuit camera systems and respond to alarms
- Provide assistance to other departments as needed to ensure a safe and hassle-free environment
Qualification and Educational Requirements
- Completion of Alberta Basic Security Training (ABST) and licensing under the Alberta Security Agent and Investigators Act, or proof of enrollment, is required
- Current certificates for Standard First Aid, CPR/AED Level C, and fire prevention/training programs
- A valid Alberta driver's license or international equivalent
- Previous security background or experience in dealing with the public in a service-oriented environment
- Knowledge of civil/criminal laws with respect to certain property offences, disorderly conduct, trespassing, etc.
- Comfortable working knowledge of MS Office software
- Physical and mental ability to conduct lengthy patrols of multi-storied buildings and extensive grounds via foot or by vehicle
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal, organizational, and oral and written communication skills
- Responds to contentious or highly-sensitive issues with discretion and effectively deals with confidential matters
- Recognizes and demonstrates the need for initiative in dealing with and resolving problems
- Due to the nature of the job, this position requires the candidate to be available to work a flexible, irregular schedule and weekends. Overnight shifts on a monthly rotation are required.
Employment Terms & Benefits
- In accordance with CUPE 4318, this is a unionized, hourly support staff position, subject to a 500-hour probationary period.
- This position pays up to to $20.99 per hour, working up to 40 hours per week on a rotating schedule. Hours worked per week may vary depending on business needs.
- Benefits of working at Banff Centre are:
- Private room in shared staff housing (based on availability)
- Staff cafeteria and restaurant discounts
- Onsite fitness facility at a discounted rate + first month free for new staff!
- Free or reduced admission to selected Banff Centre performance and events.
- Professional Development
- We are accepting applications for the Security Services Agent position until a suitable candidate is found.
- Candidates offered a position with Banff Centre, in this capacity, will be required to obtain a criminal record check verifying a clear record before a final job offer can be finalized.
- Visa requirements: Candidates must be legally eligible to work in Canada. Banff Centre is unable to assist candidates in obtaining Canadian work authorization.