Research Assistant (Bachelor’s Degree, Recent Graduates) (Ottawa (Downtown), ON, CA)
City : Ottawa
Category : Other
Industry : Banking/Financial
Employer : Bank of Canada
Research Assistant (Bachelor's Degree, Recent Graduates)
Take a central role
The Bank of Canada has a vision to be “a leading central bank—dynamic, engaged and trusted—committed to a better Canada.” No other employer in the country offers you the unique opportunity to work at the very centre of Canada’s economy, in a diverse and inclusive organization with significant impact on the economic and financial well-being of all Canadians. You will be challenged, energized, and motivated to excel in an environment where we are reinventing central banking, renewing ways of doing business and reinforcing a culture of innovation.
Each year, we hire bachelor-level graduates as Research Assistants to support the important work undertaken at the Bank. Research Assistants are employed across the economic and financial research departments, all of which contribute to the execution of our core functions. In this role you will work with leading-edge tools and to gain valuable work experience before pursuing your graduate studies.
Most of our Research Assistant positions are located at the Head Office in Ottawa. Occasionally, positions are available in some of our Regional Offices across Canada.
Find out more about the next steps in our Recruitment process.
What you will do
Are you passionate about the latest economic and financial topics? We are too! Come and join us as a Research Assistant, where we work as a team of economists and analysts in solving complex current issues. You can expect to:
- Contribute to analyzing economic and financial conditions in Canada and the world to building intuitive narratives that shape policy recommendations
- Assist senior staff in preparing briefings, such as written analysis of relevant economic developments, for Governing Council
- Assist us in interpreting vast amounts of economic and financial data by collecting, organizing, manipulating, and analyzing, and communicate your findings to senior leadership
- Contribute to research projects on innovative topics, helping our researchers in the conduct of analysis
- Support the publication of our key flagship publications, such as the Monetary Policy Report or our Financial System Review, and staff papers
Positions will be filled throughout the year, based on operational needs. This opportunity was posted in September 2022, please note that you only need to submit your application once to be considered. You may send any updated information that applies to your application. Note: If you applied to the 2021-2022 campaign (September 2021 or January/March 2022), we invite you to re-apply at this time.
For your candidacy to be considered, you must have completed a bachelor’s degree between 1 January 2020 and 31 December 2023, in one of the following areas of study:
Economics; Finance; Commerce or Business Administration with a major in Economics or Finance; Computer Science with a major or minor in Economics or Finance; Mathematics or Statistics.
Your analytical and technical skills
- Business computer skills (Microsoft office, etc.)
- Excellent analytical, research and problem-solving skills
- Experience in collecting, organizing, and manipulating data
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven commitment to learning and self-development
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team, or independently
- Ability to organize work effectively
- Experience in modelling and programming with technical tools such as MATLAB, Python, EViews, R, Stata, C/Fortran, ArcGIS, Bloomberg, Reuters, VBA, SQL, etc. is pertinent for the majority of positions
- Knowledge of econometrics and regressions, or microeconomic/macroeconomic principles; financial modelling; financial market issues and developments; financial data; financial theory and quantitative methods; trade support issues for financial markets; policy and regulatory issues related to financial systems
All applicants must submit a completed online application including the following MANDATORY documents:
- Current curriculum vitae (CV)
- Cover letter (please tailor your cover letter to ensure you are describing why you are interested in working at the Bank, how this experience would help you further your aspirations, and how your course work and experience make you an exceptional candidate that we should select!)
- Official or unofficial transcripts of your undergraduate academic record. Relevant courses you have attended must be clearly identified by their course titles
What you can expect from us
This is a great opportunity to join a leading organization and be part of a high-performing team. We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet your needs at every stage of your life and career.
- Salaries are based on qualifications and experience and typically range from $59,415 to $69,900 (job grade 13 )
- Depending on performance, you may be eligible for performance pay for successfully meeting ((3 to 5% of your base salary) or for exceeding expectations (7% of your base salary)). Exceptional performers who far exceed expectations may be eligible for higher performance pay.
- You will work remotely from any location within Canada while the Bank operates under mandatory telework. Flexibility for remote work for the duration of the term may be granted.
- Flexible and comprehensive benefits so you can choose the level of health and dental coverage that meets your needs
- Extra vacation days (up to five each year) that you can purchase to add to your vacation entitlement
- Option to join the indexed, defined-benefit pension plan after 24 consecutive months of service
For more information on key benefits, please visit www.bankofcanada.ca/careers/working-here.
- Language requirement: English or French essential
- Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents
- Security level required:
- Relocation assistance may be provided, if required
Hybrid Work Model #LI-Hybrid
The Bank offers work arrangements that provide employees with flexibility, enable high-performing teams, and support an excellent workplace culture. Most employees can telework from home for a substantial part of each month as part of the Bank’s hybrid work model, and they are expected on site at their Bank location a minimum of eight days per month to help build connections between colleagues. You and your leader will discuss the specific expectations for you. You must live in Canada, and within reasonable commuting distance of the office.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.