City : Calgary
Category : Full-time
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Shaw
A little about us
Shaw Communications Inc. is a leading Canadian connectivity company. We provide our residential and business customers with Internet, WiFi, digital phone, and video services. Our wireless division, through Shaw Mobile and Freedom Mobile, provides our mobile customers with wireless voice and LTE data services through our rapidly expanding wireless network. Every day, our passionate employees connect our customers to the world and everything in it – it’s why we exist at Shaw, and it's why we strive to be the place where the best people choose to work. Our people reflect the richness of our communities, and our culture is inclusive of each individual’s diverse background and perspective, which makes us a stronger team. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply.
We have an exciting opportunity within our Legal department for a Legal Counsel. As a valued member of the Shaw Legal Team, the successful candidate will perform legal support services for our Wireless and Wireline (Consumer division) and have the accountabilities described below.
A typical day
• Working collaboratively with stakeholders across the enterprise to identify and mitigate risks and determine creative solutions in service of Shaw’s corporate objectives;
• Responsible for reviewing, drafting, and negotiating various commercial agreements in collaboration with various teams to ensure Shaw’s business interests are protected;
• Providing timely and practical advice to the Wireless and Consumer Wireline teams in respect of product and service development and implementation matters while ensuring the business complies with all relevant regulatory codes, standards, and consumer protection requirements;
• Responsible for drafting various consumer-facing documents, agreements and advertising disclosures, and conducting enterprise-wide marketing reviews to ensure competition law compliance;
• Providing ongoing contract support, including training and coaching in connection with legal requirements, corporate policies, procedures, and contract matters; and
• Other legal related accountabilities that may arise.
• 2 – 4 years’ experience in corporate commercial law with a leading law firm;
• Experience in the technology and telecommunication industries considered an asset;
• Experience in competition and advertising law, consumer protection and regulatory matters considered an asset;
• A license to practice law in Alberta, British Columbia, or Ontario;
• Strong interpersonal skills, balanced judgment, and a demonstrated ability to make sound decisions within a legal and business context;
• Effective and efficient advisory skills, including an ability to understand the needs of our business and communicate complex issues clearly and concisely;
• Ability to work effectively in a detail-oriented, dynamic, fast-paced team environment; and
• A positive, “can-do” attitude and customer-focused approach that will enable you to deal with challenging situations with integrity, empathy, and sincerity. If you want to be a part of something bigger – part of a dynamic team of people who are aligned, focused, and passionate about working together to care for our customers, then we look forward to meeting you!
This position requires the successful completion of a criminal and credit background check. We thank all interested applicants; however, only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Subscribe to our newsletter & stay updated