Intermediate Structural Engineer
City : DARTMOUTH
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Intermediate Structural Engineer - ( 220001DB )
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
Your role is to work with general supervision and direction on medium sized projects, and as a team member of a larger project under the guidance of a Senior Engineer. You will participate in the evaluation, recommendation, and specification for engineered systems or products for a project verifying compliance with applicable codes and engineering standards/practices.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Responsible for projects of medium complexity/size
- Evaluates, selects, specifies, and engineers all structural engineered systems or products for a project
- Engages in the development of a design through sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and other visual formats
- Utilizes BIM technologies in development of three-dimensional models of building’s structural systems and provides markups for junior engineers/designers
- Prepares and revises documentation in various structural phases including site plans, floor plans, diagrams, and details
- Leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner and contractor, sub-contractors, and vendors
- Participates in client project requirement meetings and value analysis and basic cost estimating
- Assists upper level staff with developing and managing the project scope, budget, staffing and schedule
- Leads the preparation and coordination of the project specifications with construction documents
- Performs and oversees the performance of calculations using company standard software, and proprietary manufacturer software
- Utilizes advanced techniques for the analysis of specialized building elements such as two-way slabs, prestressed concrete, and piled foundations
- Participates in constructability review
- Conducts quality assurance and quality control on own projects
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the structural group
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Requisite knowledge and application of structural design codes, standards, and applicable building codes
- General understanding of all phases of project document production and the relationship between drawings and specifications
- Strong knowledge of structural systems, means and methods, materials, and industry standards
- Experience in designing with steel, concrete, timber, and masonry
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness and manage time to meet project budget and schedule
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting and to engage in creative and critical thought
- Thorough understanding of structural engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others
- Advanced oral and written communication skills
- Presentation and interview skills are preferred
- Experience in project management
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit; Prefer experience with Newforma, AutoCAD; Comprehensive Building Analysis Software such as SAFI, S-Frame, StaadPro and ETABS
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Engineering & Licensed Professional Engineer. Minimum of 5-6 years of experience. LEED Green Associate or LEED AP is a benefit.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Nova Scotia-Dartmouth
Job : Structural Engineer
Organization : BC-1334 Buildings-CA Atlantic Canada
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Apr 6, 2022, 9:37:20 AM
Req ID: 220001DB
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans