Climate Risk Scientist/Engineer
City : Toronto
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Climate Risk Scientist/Engineer - ( 230000ZQ )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec seeks motivated individuals to help support and participate in the continuous growth of our services in the climate change/resiliency markets. The ideal candidate will have an interest in the technical and social issues associated with the impacts of climate change on the built environment, and the integration of climate change risks in life-cycle and asset management plans, and resiliency.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Participate in projects to identify the nature of risks and severity of impacts to the built and natural environment.
- Assess the predominant vulnerabilities of infrastructure to climate change.
- Make recommendations on risk mitigation and future climate adaptation measures, including adjustments for designs or operations.
- Perform climate analysis, including regional climate profiling, and interpret for application to risk assessment.
- Translate complex information and concepts to write high-quality reports for our clients and the public.
- Participate in and contribute to meetings and workshops with clients, including preparing and carrying out presentations.
- Contribute to growing new climate change services annually.
- Identify and develop new opportunities, prepare effective technical proposals, and take an active role in the development of our business with new and existing clients.
- Collaborate with clients and expand client relationships that generate repeat business.
- Collaborate with other Stantec practitioners from multiple offices around the global organization.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Knowledge of climate change challenges throughout the world and tools used to perform climate analysis and assess climate risks, such as the PIEVC Protocol, ICLEI BARC, Canada’s Climate Lens Guidance, or other risk assessment frameworks.
- Applicants in all locations in Canada are welcome.
- Excellent communication (written/verbal), strategic thinking, negotiation, presentation, and “people” skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite of programs. Additional proficiency in RStudio, Python and GIS applications is an asset.
- Experience in project or client management is considered an asset, but not necessary.
- Must be collaborative and driven by the success of Stantec.
- Willingness for occasional travel, within Canada or internationally.
- Must have a good driving record and valid driver’s license.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree of Engineering/Science in engineering/environmental science/planning or related discipline is required. Ph.D. of Engineering/Science in engineering/environmental science/planning or related discipline is considered an asset.
- 5 years of consulting or other related experience is an asset, with technical competencies in design and/or operations of infrastructure in the public and/or private sectors or in climate science or engineering field.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Waterloo
Other Locations : Canada-Ontario-Stoney Creek, Canada-Ontario-Toronto, Canada-Ontario-Windsor, Canada-Ontario-London, Canada-Ontario-Markham, Canada-Ontario-Ottawa, Canada-Ontario, Canada-Ontario-Mississauga
Organization : BC-1609 EnvSvcs-CA Ontario West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 28, 2023, 10:14:45 AM
Req ID: 230000ZQ
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans