City : CALGARY
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Archaeologist - ( 230000JM )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support.
Your primary role will be to conduct archaeological assessment and detailed mitigation studies (excavation) in a field setting. Additional tasks may include completion of artifact analysis and contributing to production of technical reports. You will work closely with Stantec's project managers, laboratory resources, and environmental staff.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Archaeological fieldwork under the direction of a Senior Archaeologist in various parts of Alberta and/or western or northern Canada.
- Most work includes travel and shifts up to 20 days away from home; typical work shifts are 10-14 days, 10-hour days (overtime eligible). Accommodation and meals/per diems are included.
- Archaeological field survey, excavation, and construction monitoring.
- Physical work including very long walks/hikes sometimes through challenging backcountry terrain, shovel testing, and archaeological excavation (hand excavation, use of wheelbarrows, etc.).
- Operation of a motor vehicle, including pickup trucks and trailering and ATV/UTV use.
- Operation of other types of motorized equipment including archaeological power screens.
- Working near mobile equipment and heavy machinery.
- A strong commitment to safety, including the right to refuse unsafe work, and the daily use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) such as hardhats and steel-toed boots. Employees may be eligible for a PPE allowance.
- Note-taking and record keeping in the field, identifying archaeological artifacts and features.
- Artifact cataloguing and analysis.
- This position works as part of a larger environmental services team and may require support to multiple Stantec offices.
- Interacting and communicating effectively with co-workers and crew leads.
- Safety training will be required, including internal training as well as external training such as First Aid and Ground Disturbance, as well as project specific training (may include Drug & Alcohol testing). Required training costs are covered by Stantec.
Education and Experience
Currently enrolled in a BA or B.Sc. in Archaeology or possessing a degree in archaeology are preferred. However, completion of some archaeological coursework or previous archaeological experience or equivalencies will be considered.
Successful completion of a field school and technical courses (e.g., lithic analysis, faunal analysis) is preferred.
Archaeological field experience in Alberta/Western Canada is preferred.
Possession of a valid driver’s license is strongly preferred.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Other Locations : Canada-Alberta
Organization : BC-1249 EnvSvcs-CA Alberta South
Employee Status : Temporary
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : Yes, 75 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 7, 2023, 9:26:15 AM
Req ID: 230000JM
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans