Archaeology Field Supervisor
Ville : Markham
Industrie : Materials & Construction
Employeur : Stantec
Archaeology Field Supervisor - ( 2200005M )
Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We are a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that is critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. We have openings for Intermediate to Senior Archaeology Field Supervisors to support work based out of our Markham, Hamilton/Stoney Creek, and London, Ontario offices. Your primary role will be to organize, lead, and supervise our teams of dedicated field technicians to deliver industry-leading archaeological services for our clients. This is an opportunity to showcase your breadth of knowledge, experience, and talent in a dynamic role to explore, protect, and conserve Ontario’s rich and diverse history.
At Stantec, you will find that our work reaches various sectors and industries, including transportation, community development and infrastructure, oil and gas, and aggregates and mining, to name but a few. Our upcoming field season is anticipated to be busy and rewarding, with opportunities to work on large and complex projects involving stratified and deeply buried urban contexts and Indigenous archaeological sites with intricate settlement patterns and ancestral human remains. As a member of the Stantec archaeology team, you will utilize and be supported in modern and adaptive archaeological recording techniques such as photogrammetry and high-precision digital archaeological survey.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Supervise and perform archaeological assessments and mitigations utilizing a variety of approved field methodologies, including archaeological survey, testing, excavation, surface collection, and monitoring.
- Quality control fieldwork and data, and ensure work is completed in accordance with the Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries’ (MHSTCI) Standards and Guidelines for Consultant Archaeologists.
- Supervise a team of Archaeology Field Technicians.
- Lead and motivate your field team to achieve productivity goals.
- Take initiative and be responsive to changing project, equipment, material, and personnel needs.
- Work must comply with occupational health and safety policies and procedures and Stantec’s Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) program, policies, and safe work practices.
- Work with senior technical advisors, Project Managers, and Task Managers to ensure delivery of high-quality products that meet our clients’ unique project needs.
- Learn from and assist senior technical advisors in the development of advanced technical methods, techniques, documents, and tools.
- Work with Indigenous communities to develop and maintain relationships of mutual trust, respect, and collaboration.
- Travel within Ontario and overnight for extended durations is required.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- A thorough understanding and application of the MHSTCI’s Standards and Guidelines for Consultant Archaeologists is required.
- Working knowledge of Indigenous and Euro-Canadian archaeological resources and artifacts, including the identification of archaeological stratigraphy, cultural features, and settlement pattern.
- Experience with GIS and ArcGIS and other digital data applications, as well as transits and total stations.
- Prepare and maintain detailed field notes, drawings, and maps.
- Leadership skills and ability to motivate a team is essential.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including exceptional MS Office skills.
- Attention to detail is critical.
- Thorough understanding of technical writing skills with particular emphasis on reporting requirements of the MHSTCI.
- Experienced at working well in a team atmosphere and independently as required.
- Working understanding of policies and procedures for HSSE, including client-specific training (as required).
- Must have the willingness to learn new skills.
- Conscientious, organized, disciplined, and goal oriented.
- Builds and maintains productive professional and personal networking relationships within their technical team.
- Ability to perform rigorous physical activities, such as lifting up to 50 lbs and being capable of repetitive movement, under adverse weather conditions.
- Good driving record and valid driver’s license required.
Education and Experience
- Minimum BA/B.Sc. in archaeology; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum R license holder with the MHSTCI in good standing
- Minimum of one year of proven field experience in the role of Archaeology Field Supervisor, specific to Ontario consulting archaeology; greater than one year experience preferred.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Please be advised the Field Supervisor position you are applying for is unionized. The terms and conditions of employment is governed by a Collective Agreement between Stantec Consulting Ltd. and LiUNA, as well as any applicable Stantec Consulting Ltd. policies.
Primary Location : Canada-Ontario-Stoney Creek
Other Locations : Canada-Ontario-London, Canada-Ontario-Markham
Job : Union Field Supervisor 3
Organization : BC-1609 Environmental Services-CA Ontario West
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 75 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Mar 1, 2022, 7:01:14 PM
Req ID: 2200005M
Vaccine Policy: Stantec requires some positions in North America to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 subject to reasonable accommodation to the extent required by law because of a medical reason or a sincerely held religious belief.
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans