Senior Mechanical Engineer
Ville : EDMONTON
Industrie : Materials & Construction
Employeur : Stantec
Senior Mechanical Engineer - ( 230000WB )
The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
We put the engine in buildings engineering. Intelligent design. Innovative execution. These are the elements of buildings engineering that rev us up. With decades of experience under our belts, we’re achieving remarkable results with our work in building technologies, energy, and environmental performance. Our team of interdisciplinary consultants works collaboratively with clients and contractors to deliver buildings and processes that are on track for safety, performance, and sustainability.
For both public and private sector clients, we provide unique high-performance engineering design solutions from small scale commercial fit-out projects to billion-dollar state of the art health care facilities.
Stantec in Alberta has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our established Western Canadian Leadership Team within our Buildings Engineering Practice in Edmonton. While the opportunity is based out of Edmonton, project locations throughout Alberta and Western Canada including British Columbia, the Prairie Provinces as well as the Northern Territories may require travel for short periods. Remote work strategies may be considered based on project requirements and direct supervisor approval.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Managing and delivering Mechanical Engineering Services on a diverse portfolio of project assignments for valued clients throughout Alberta and across Western Canada.
- Proactively plan and manage the delivery of Mechanical Engineering Services on projects with a focus on accurate scope management, technical excellence / innovation, quality assurance / quality control as well as adherence to schedule and budget drivers.
- Preparation of Technical Engineering Design Reports specific to key Building Mechanical Systems including HVAC, Plumbing, Fire Protection as well as Building Automation / Controls.
- Develop Mechanical Engineering Designs and associated Drawings and Specifications suitable for both tender and construction.
- Utilizes BIM technologies and other computer aided engineering design software tools to develop project deliverables.
- Enhanced knowledge and experience in comparison of mechanical systems including value / life cycle cost analysis.
- Create and lead strong and diverse technical teams for the delivery of Mechanical Engineering Services on projects. May develop to formal direct supervision of assigned staff.
- Develop and mentor intermediate and junior staff through effective communication and strong leadership to promote career progression.
- Promote strong team work ethic through collaboration.
- Work collaboratively to support the Alberta Building Engineering Team and wider North American Building Engineering Team to develop and implement programs and procedures affecting Mechanical Engineering for Vertical Construction Projects.
- Lead business development opportunities with the integrated architecture and engineering teams at Stantec and externally
- Develop mechanical engineering scopes of services, workplans and associated fee estimates.
- Lead mechanical engineering pursuits from inception to successful contract award.
- Develop strong client relationships through proactive business development and marketing efforts as well as through exceptional delivery of projects and associated deliverables.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- In depth understanding and experience in the evaluation and assessment of mechanical building systems (HVAC including BMS as well as plumbing and fire protection systems) with direct field related experience.
- Experience with use of National / Alberta Building Code, National Fire Code, Energy Codes and CSA Standards as they relate to mechanical systems for buildings.
- Detailed knowledge of ASHRAE guidelines and standards. Active membership in ASHRAE is preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience with High Performance and Sustainable Building Practices. Working knowledge of LEED guidelines and workflows. LEED AP BD C designation is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of mechanical systems, means and methods, materials and related industry standards.
- Knowledge of professional services procurement processes including both Consultant and Construction Contracts.
- Knowledge of cost and scheduling control techniques and ability to apply same to construction projects. Specific experience in implementing project schedules (utilizing Microsoft Project, Prima Vera, etc.).
- Excellent computer skills (i.e., Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD, Bluebeam, Adobe Acrobat, etc.)
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing is required with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Able to qualify for security clearance based on client requirements.
- Must be self-sufficient and self-motivated with strong negotiation skills
- Ability to Multi-Task. Note that this position requires the successful candidate to work on multiple projects at once all at varying stages of design / construction. As well with today’s construction industry dates for project and system turnover are always changing and the ability to adapt to these schedule changes is a prime asset for this role.
- Valid 5 Class driver’s license
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Construction Management or a related technical field. Professional Engineering designation in Alberta along with membership in good standing with APEGA is preferred however Graduates of a Technical Program (NAIT, SAIT or similar institution) with a strong and balanced experience base and equivalent accreditation will be given equal consideration. Candidates with higher levels of post-secondary education such as MSc / PHD in Engineering or MBA Business Programs will be given greater consideration.
- Minimum of fifteen to twenty years of related work experience in the Engineering Design of Mechanical Systems specific to Buildings Projects within institutional and commercial markets.
- Prior experience in Project and Financial Management is considered to be a strong asset.
Committed to the principles of Employment Equity, we thank all candidates; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other's talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Organization : BC-1153 Buildings-CA Alberta
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : Yes, 10 % of the Time
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 22, 2023, 8:48:29 AM
Req ID: 230000WB
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans