Financial Planning Analyst
Ville : Hamilton
Catégorie : Full-Time Admin
Industrie : Education
Employeur : Mohawk College
Status: Full Time
Hours: Monday to Friday; 35 hours/week
Pay Band: 10
Pay Rate: $77,520 - $96,900
Posting Date: March 7th, 2023
Closing Date: April 12th, 2023 at 7:00pm EST
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. Supported by our strategic plan we are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
Financial Planning Analyst
The Financial Planning Analyst (FPA) at Mohawk College is a senior analytical role that plays a key role in financial planning and analysis through creation, monitoring and forecasting of the Annual Operating Budget and supports the Director, Financial Planning. While the FPA position is a broad role, each individual maintains primary responsibility for particular areas of specialization.
The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
Advises and assists in the development and review of the College-wide financial plan:
- Supports the complete development of the college financial plan, particularly as it relates to the operating budget.
- Provides client support in budget development, creates revenue models and projects allowable spending limits.
- Provides client support in budget development, creation of corporate revenue models, costing of staffing plans, creation and monitoring of the enrolment plan and the determination of allowable spending.
- Recommends to Director, Financial Planning actions concerning budgeting process incl. College-wide initiatives (e.g. budgeted salary savings, system enhancements, major projects etc.).
Provides operational support and directs operations in financial matters:
- Provides ongoing support to financial managers within the FPA’s client support group, directing managers in budget preparation & analysis, budget performance monitoring and forecasting. Supporting clients includes transacting monthly calendarization changes, budget adjustments with particular emphasis on providing accurate and meaningful year-end projections.
- Analyzes and reports on budget vs. actual, revenue vs. expense and budget vs. forecast. Advises on the financial implications to the College wide financial plan.
- Reviews monthly operating statements and detail reports to verify entries (budget, actual, commitments) for appropriateness and compliance with GAAP and provides direction to managers on apparent discrepancies.
- Provides advice during the drafting of grant application on the proposed budget and accounting implications for each new contract. Processes Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) and other Federal funding partner’s quarterly and annual returns/claims including preparation of financial and statistical data to ensure it meets contract requirements.
- Acts as a mentor and trainer to Financial Managers, including training of departmental staff in the use of using Millennium FAST/Banner, including and available reports, and in particular the importance of forecasting etc.
Other Initiatives and Project-Based activities:
- Monitor, research and prepare detailed analysis on year-to-date budget variances, perform monthly account reconciliations for areas that the FPA is responsible for and reconcile grant funding to contracts.
- Support the annual audit by preparing working papers and detailed analysis for areas that the FPA is responsible for.
New Academic Program Proposal Simulations:
- Reviews assumptions with the Associate Dean and prepares 5-year cash flow analysis for new programs, including detailed enrolment, revenue and expenditure analysis.
- Prepares a summary of issues, observations and recommendations for each new proposal for consideration by the Director for presentation to the Strategic Enrolment Management (SEM) committee.
The successful applicant must have:
- A degree or equivalent in such disciplines as Business, Commerce or a related field, and a professional accounting designation (Certified Professional Accountant - CPA) is required for this position.
- 5 years minimum experience in a related position.
- Very strong and demonstrated analytical skills are critical for this position.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and well developed problem solving skills.
- Other essential skills include strong time management skills, ability to learn quickly and adapt to changing conditions and requirements, initiative, ability to work alone and as a member of a team, excellent interpersonal skills, ability to coach/guide others, high degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Advanced Microsoft Office skills (with a focus on data manipulation tools – Access & Excel).
- Ability to develop and effectively deliver presentations (including the use of PowerPoint).
- Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively inter-culturally with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, S2LGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca/