Intermediate I&C Technologist / Designer
Ville : Saskatoon
Industrie : Materials & Construction
Employeur : Stantec
Intermediate I&C Technologist / Designer - ( 230000XM )
As energy availability becomes increasingly critical, there’s no end to the scope and significance of your work — and to where it can take you at Stantec. Every day, we’re problem-solving and collaborating on projects that are as challenging as they are impactful.
Join an integrated team that is working together with industry to deliver innovation for the long term on some of the most important and interesting projects around the world. Our team works on diverse industry areas such as generation – thermal, hydropower and other renewable sources of energy, transmission and distribution, oil and gas, and mining.
Seeing beyond the project at hand, you’ll work with us to advance the industry and build your career. We operate with the strength of a $3B company and have the agility of a specialized group, and work on some of the most challenging and cutting-edge projects around the world. You’ll find yourself working with leaders in one of the world’s top 10 design firms, broadening your skills and developing your career.
We are currently seeking an Intermediate Instrumentation & Controls Technologist / Designer, to join our Energy and Resources Team.
You will have the opportunity to join our Integrated Design team providing project design support and through our entire Energy and Resources operating unit. This includes exposure to industry sectors such as Power Generation and Distribution, Oil & Gas, Mining, and the rapidly growing renewable energy sector and energy transition projects across North America.
As an I&C Technologist / Designer you may find yourself supporting projects under the direction of a project lead, or leading small projects yourself. The successful candidate is expected to evaluate, select, specify, and engineer certain instrumentation and control systems or products for a project; along with various other tasks including calculations, QC and field work.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Evaluates, selects, specifies, and designs instrumentation specified systems or products for a project.
- Engages in the development of design through verbal, written, and visual methods including sketches, electronic models, diagrams, and redlines.
- Supports or leads project coordination meetings with internal team members and/or external consultants, owner reps, contractors, sub-contractors, and vendors.
- Participates in client project requirement meetings, value analysis sessions, and basic cost estimating.
- Assists other project leads with developing and managing the project scope, budget, staffing and schedule.
- Supports or leads the preparation and coordination of any required project specifications.
- Performs calculations using company standard software, and proprietary manufacturer software.
- Utilizes advanced techniques for the analysis of specialized instrumentation and control elements.
- Conducts quality control reviews on project and departmental work products.
- Assists in the development of new standards and specifications for the Automation team.
- Leads and / or works on multiple projects when required.
- Member of technical team developing instrumentation and controls deliverables including but not limited to: instrument datasheets; instrument index; instrumentation calculations; shutdown keys; control narratives; control system architecture and network details; control system panel designs; I/O assignments and wiring schematics
- P&ID development input and support.
- Participates in HAZOP and various other process safety assessment, evaluation, and design sessions.
- Participates in constructability reviews.
- Field instrumentation specifications and material requisition development.
- Multidiscipline vendor equipment package reviews and vendor documentation reviews for purchased instrumentation and control equipment.
- Coordination with other disciplines to meet project schedule and deliverables requirements.
- Preparation of construction work packages.
- Project team communication.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Registration with local engineering / technical governing body (ASET, APEGA, APEGS, TPSK) is an asset.
- Requisite knowledge and application of Electrical Code and applicable Energy Industry codes as applied to I&C projects and work
- General understanding of all phases of project deliverables production and the relationship between drawings and specifications.
- Strong knowledge of instrumentation and control systems means and methods, materials, and industry standards.
- Proven ability to develop high quality work, self-checked for completeness and accuracy while managing time to meet project budget and schedule.
- Proven experience and capability to be self-driven and work as a remote contributor or lead on projects, when necessary, while still retaining relationship with project team to stay engaged and aligned with project needs.
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting with other I&C team members as well as other discipline team members and project leadership.
- Thorough understanding of engineering concepts and ability to effectively communicate ideas to others.
- Ability to check the work of others for accuracy and completeness
- Presentation skills will be an asset.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, PDF editing software, and AutoCAD.
- Intools (SPI) and Smartplant experience is an asset.
Education and Experience
Technical diploma, or equivalent, in Instrumentation & Controls / Electrical engineering technology. 5 years of working experience. A degree or diploma in another technical field could be acceptable if suitably paired with I&C working experience.
Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best. #Feeling Energized
Primary Location : Canada-Alberta-Edmonton
Other Locations : Canada-Saskatchewan-Saskatoon, Canada-Saskatchewan-Regina, Canada-Alberta-Calgary
Organization : BC-1554 E&R BOU-CA Integrated Design
Employee Status : Regular
Job Level : Individual Contributor
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : Feb 24, 2023, 8:05:18 AM
Req ID: 230000XM
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans