General Counsel and Corporate Secretary
Ville : British Columbia
Catégorie : Other
Industrie : Real estate and rental and leasing
Employeur : BC Housing
GENERAL COUNSEL AND CORPORATE SECRETARY :
Our Office of General Counsel plays a mission-critical role within this complex environment by ensuring that BC Housing is in compliance with the law as it delivers on its important mandate. As General Counsel and Corporate Secretary, you’ll contribute to the achievement of businessobjectives by keeping current with legislative changes, industry best practices and legal trends that could impact BC Housing.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer and to the Board of Commissioners, you’ll provide strategic leadership and legal advice for a broad range of corporate, governance, procurement, and financial matters. You’ll also be involved with risk mitigation and work closely with the Board, the CEO, the Executive Team, and the management team to identify and leverage strategies to meet operational needs. Tasked with providing legal support to BC Housing’s Board of Directors and its Committees, you’ll oversee the governance framework and advise on governance issues and requirements.
This is a uniquely exciting opportunity to draw not only on your legal expertise but also on your extensive knowledge of BC’s residential development, design, and construction sector, to provide legal advice, interpretation, and recommendations on a broad range of business issues.Your informed counsel and insights will be sought in areas such as information technology business transactions, including contracts, IT licenses, data-sharing agreements and technology transfers, the acquisition, leasing, development and disposition of real estate matters, complex negotiations with legal implications, and more. Supervising a team of staff, including excluded and bargaining unit employees, will be an integral part of your mandate.
You bring to the role:
The successful candidate will have the following:
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
With current membership in good standing in the Law Society of British Columbia, or eligibility for membership within a specified period, a bachelor's degree and a Law Degree (LL. B or J.D.) from a recognized post-secondary institution and a license to practice law in British Columbia, you have the solid foundation this executive role demands. These credentials are complemented by extensive experience related to in-house and/or external legal corporate law, commercial litigation and/or labour and employment law. Alternatively, you’ll have an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience acceptable to the Employer.
The following competencies, knowledge, skills, and abilities will also support your achievements as General Counsel and Corporate Secretary:
- A results- and service-oriented approach to leading and getting things done.
- Extensive knowledge of board governance and best practices, BC’s residential
- development, design and construction sector, the Homeowner Protection Act and
- associated Regulations, and proceedings in quasi-criminal hearings and civil court.
- Ability to learn and understand BC Housing’s mandate, programs, and policies in
- delivering social housing programs and services throughout the province.
- Ability to draft and negotiate complex agreements, including service contracts,
- partnership agreements, public procurement documentation, and insurance provisions.
- Ability to explain complex legal issues to a wide range of internal and external
- Ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with private and non-profit
- partners, government agencies, external legal counsel, associations/councils, and other
- key stakeholders.
- Ability to lead, coach, motivate and develop staff in a team environment.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement and make difficult decisions independently.
- Strategic and analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Effective communication, presentation, consultative and consensus-building skills.
- Extensive skill in researching and investigating issues, determining facts, applying law and policy, and making reasoned analyses.
- Please Note: Successful applicant(s) are subject to a satisfactory criminal record search and are required to maintain Security Clearance throughout their employment.