Director, Climate Risk Modelling, Enterprise Stress Testing
Ville : Toronto, ON, CA, M5H1H1
Catégorie : Business and Financial Operations
Industrie : Finance
Employeur : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 168200
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Purpose of Job:
Leads and oversees the climate risk modelling process and methodology for all products and customers globally ensuring business strategies, plans and initiatives are executed / delivered in compliance with governing regulations, internal policies and procedures.
The Director Climate Risk Modelling, as a part of the Enterprise Stress Testing group, leads and manages a team of professionals responsible for designing and conducting various programs that support climate risk scenario analysis and climate related stress testing. It involves quantitative expertise in climate risk analytics, as well as strong understanding of regulatory requirements, industry best practice, stakeholders expectations, and evolving climate risk research & its implications. The Director leads a team accountable for the climate risk modelling & scenario analysis, and supports the larger Enterprise Stress Testing group by participating in enterprise-wide initiatives including the environmental risk management program, annual enterprise-wide stress testing program, the industry stress testing program, and broader initiatives as applicable. Climate risk modelling includes assessment of the impacts of global long-term climate scenarios on the Bank’s portfolios and operations by using advanced analytical approaches, including both vendor and in-house platforms/tools.
As a strong communicator and an established subject matter expert on climate risk modelling, the Director analyzes and reports results to governing internal committees and stakeholders.
• Leads and drives a customer focused culture throughout their team to deepen client relationships and leverage broader Bank relationships, systems and knowledge.
• Responsible for the design, development (including review and selection of appropriate vendor platforms), regular operation, ongoing maintenance and enhancement of the Bank’s climate risk modelling program to assess impacts of global climate risk scenarios on the Bank’s portfolio and operations from both a physical and transition risk perspective.
• Responsible for providing quantitative and analytical thought leadership on methodologies for assessing & translating impact of climate scenarios developed by international climate organizations on the Bank’s portfolio, and to inform and educate internal stakeholders on the approach and its implications.
• Responsible for collaboratively working with stakeholders across risk, finance and other support functions to develop and advance climate risk scenario analysis, and for supporting larger enterprise initiatives, including environment risk management and stress testing programs. The larger EST group is also responsible for enterprise stress testing and its implications to the entire banking group. The incumbent contributes to those processes by providing subject matter expertise and technical support.
• The incumbent maintains solid working relationship with relevant internal groups including in Finance and Global Risk Management, as well as presenting key results, conclusions and recommendation to relevant internal working groups and committees. The role also ensures compliance with various applicable regulations and internal policies.
• The incumbent is responsible for processes which need to be run on a frequent basis, which require development of the scripts and processes for running the code, including appropriate change management, and ensuring processes follow good operational practices.
• The Director leads and coaches a team of professionals setting clear expectations, defines clear roles and expectations, including timelines; ensures staff are sufficiently knowledgeable or work with them to address gaps; provides direction and coaching, as required.
• Understands how the Bank’s risk appetite and risk culture should be considered in day-to-day activities and decisions.
• Creates an environment in which their team pursues effective and efficient operations of their respective areas in accordance with Scotiabank’s Values, its Code of Conduct and the Global Sales Principles, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational, compliance, AML/ATF/sanctions and conduct risk.
• Builds a high performance environment and implements a people strategy that attracts, retains, develops and motivates their team by fostering an inclusive work environment and using a coaching mindset and behaviours; communicating vison/values/business strategy; and, managing succession and development planning for the team.
- • Degree in an advanced quantitative discipline
• Specific working experience in climate risk management
• 5+ years experience
• Knowledge of regulatory expectations for management of climate related-risks by financial institutions
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Toronto
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.