XR Modeller – Initiatives & Opportunities (June 2023 – April 2025)
City : Hamilton
Category : Full-Time Support
Industry : Education
Employer : Mohawk College
Status: Initiatives & Opportunities (June 2023 – April 2025)
Hours: Monday to Friday; 35 hours/week
Home Campus: Fennell
Pay Band: G
Rate of Pay: $30.87
Posting Date: May 18th, 2023
Closing Date: May 25th, 2023 at 7:00pm EST
Please be advised that according to Full Time Support Staff Collective Agreement, Article 17.1, preference will be given to qualified employees within the Full Time Support Staff bargaining unit, Appendix D (in the role for 6 consecutive months) and RPT employees who have passed probation at Mohawk College. Should a suitable candidate not be found, external candidates will be considered.
We support and encourage the contributions of our diverse employees. Supported by a new strategic plan we are committed to nurturing an equitable, diverse and inclusive environment for everyone who learns and works at Mohawk. We believe the rich diversity among our students and the communities we serve should be reflected within our workforce. As educators we believe it is important to act and show leadership in advancing the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion in our community.
Mohawk College is currently recruiting for our next
Reporting to the Agile Project Manager, the XR Modeller works as part of an agile development team creating engaging, realistic simulations in 3D for educational and industrial training purposes. The XR development team supports all academic programs and faculty in creating immersive learning experiences through the use of augmented and virtual reality technology. These technologies require 3D models that replicate real-world objects and machines. Some projects may include creative, futuristic models set in fictitious settings others will require digital twins to be accurately reconstructed. Considerable artistic talent is required to create the near photo-realism and accuracy of industrial assets.
The XR Modeller works on an interdisciplinary agile team, contributing to daily scrum meetings within two-week sprints. As part of this small team, the XR Modeller has a lead role in designing the experience and creating the storyboards for the team. With a background in 3D animation or game design, the incumbent is responsible for designing and modelling environments which may contain 3D characters, animated machines and static elements. The XR Modeller must have training and experience building 3D characters through modelling, rigging, and animation as well as experience optimizing poly counts, unwrapping, baking, texturing and lighting. Some experience with 3D scanning, reality capture software and 360 video recording and editing is desired. The XR Modeller will also be an important part of the team by having experience with Unity and developing for the Oculus, Vive and other AR/VR platforms.
The successful candidate will demonstrate independence, creativity and the ability to adapt to various art styles (stylized, realistic) with a passion for learning any emerging technology and software in the field.
The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
Design and Modelling
- Create the design brief and storyboard for approved projects getting input and incorporating feedback from the development team and Agile PM.
- Design and model 3D objects and assets for the virtual and augmented environment.
- Build 3D assets by modelling, rigging, and animating as needed.
- Work closely with other developers to build art content for the project mechanics (VFX, dynamic materials, etc.).
- Design, model, unwrap and texture hyper-realistic and/or stylized content for the simulations according to the design goal.
- Optimize the environments and assets appropriately for the deployment purpose (e.g. Mobile or tethered).
- Collaborate with the development team during the iterative design process of the AR and VR simulations.
- Address critiques from Leads and make revisions in a timely manner.
- Record, edit and augment 360 video.
- Document work in the Jira Project Management software.
Integration and Testing
- Integrate 3D assets into Unity/Unreal, test viability on headset or other deployment mode.
- Contribute to the testing and bug tracking of the XR applications.
- Rigorously test the XR simulations, either created in-house or with external XR agencies, for usability.
- Support demonstrations and other outreach activities, including off-campus opportunities.
Other duties as assigned
The successful applicant must have:
- A minimum 3 year post-secondary in Animation, Game Design or other creative industry.
- A minimum of 2 years of practical work experience.
- Expert experience in Photoshop post-production.
- Low to high poly baking experience.
- Experience in Substance Painter/Designer.
- Unwrapping/baking/texturing, 2D/3D optimization.
- Working knowledge of multi-pass rendering, lighting and baking.
- Some experience with 3d scanning and reality capture software.
- Some experience with video editing and recording 360 videos.
- C# development experience.
- Practical experience with Unity.
- Capable of troubleshooting a VR and AR system.
- Some experience developing for Oculus, Vive, and other platforms.
- Adaptable to emerging technology and software.
- Ability to accurately evaluate scope and time requirements.
- Demonstrate independence, creativity and the ability to adapt to various art styles (stylized, realistic, etc.).Demonstrated commitment and understanding of human rights, equity, diversity and inclusion with the ability to communicate and work effectively inter-culturally with diverse groups of students, employees and the community.
Mohawk College prioritizes recruiting and retaining diverse employees. With this in mind, the College is committed to fostering inclusive and barrier-free recruitment and selection processes.
Should you require accommodation through any stage of the recruitment process, please contact the Human Resources Department at (905) 575 - 2047.
Mohawk College is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons, women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, S2LGBTQIA+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
For more information concerning the Mohawk College strategic plan, please see: strategicplan.mohawkcollege.ca/