City : Edmonton, AB
Category : Z-WSP E&I Canada Ltd.
Industry : Engineering
Employer : WSP
WSP is one of the world's leading professional services firms – made stronger with the recent creation of WSP E&I Canada Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of WSP Canada Inc.
We have over 63,000 team members across the globe. In Canada, our 12,000 people are involved in everything from environmental remediation to urban planning, from engineering iconic buildings to designing sustainable transportation networks, from finding new ways to extract essential resources to developing renewable power sources for the future. Our purpose is to future proof our cities and environments.
WSP E&I is seeking Wildlife Biologists to join our team in Edmonton or the 2023 season.
For the more experienced professional, this is an opportunity to work as a respected team member and bring your experience to a world leader in consulting.
For the junior professional, this an opportunity to join a world class organization as well as learn from and be mentored by exceptional professionals and leaders.
- We value and are committed to upholding a culture of Inclusion and Belonging
- Our Flexible Work Policy – we recognize the importance of balance in our lives and encourage you to prioritize the balance in yours. We will support you on and off the job so you can be fully present in both your work and home lives.
- Our Hybrid Work Policy - a combination of in-person and remote working, enables us to purposefully think of how we work, who we need to work with, and where the work should be done.
- A Canadian success story - we're proud to wear the red and white of this beautiful country and show the world what Canada has to offer.
- Enhance the world around you - from the environment to the highways, to the buildings and the terrain, WSP is the fabric of Canada.
- Outstanding career opportunities - we're growing and pushing ourselves every day to be greater than yesterday - we're open to your ideas and trying new things.
- A phenomenal collaborative culture and a workforce filled with genuinely good people who are doing humbly important work. Come find out for yourself what it's like to be a part of our journey.
We offer attractive pay, flexible work options, a great corporate culture, comprehensive and employee-focused benefits including virtual healthcare and a wellness platform as well as great savings programs, and a clear vision for the future.
A day in the life:
The successful candidate will work within the wildlife group under the supervision of the lead wildlife biologist. Primary responsibilities will be to provide support on a wide variety of projects as delegated by the lead wildlife biologist.
This will involve the following:
- Conducting general and species-specific wildlife surveys, including for Species at Risk
- Working in remote locations for 1 to 2 week periods
- Designing field and monitoring programs
- Supporting other staff as needed
- Data entry and analysis
- Writing wildlife assessments and other technical reports
- Contribute to/ Get exposed to presentation of findings
What you'll bring to WSP ...
The position requires that the successful candidate has a solid technical and/or academic background.
- B.Sc. in appropriate discipline and/or advanced degree;
Technical and Experience requirements include:
- Strong wildlife identification skills, especially for birds (visual and auditory)
- Be able to recognize wildlife behaviour and habitats
- A good understanding of the regulatory requirements for wildlife assessments at both the provincial and federal level
- Field experience with wildlife surveys
- Construction Monitoring experience
- Willingness to travel outside of Edmonton, work flexible hours including field work under a variety of conditions, and shift work