City : Cranbrook, BC, CA
Category : Other
Industry : Transportation
Employer : Canadian Pacific
Canadian Pacific (CP) and Kansas City Southern (KCS) are now CPKC. As the only truly North American railway, we are making big moves! Drawing on our strong foundations and heritage, CPKC moves essential goods across our 20,000-mile network to support economic growth throughout Canada, the U.S. and Mexico. Be a part of history as we connect a continent and create exciting career opportunities across our new transnational network. Visit cpkcr.com to learn about the CPKC advantage, our purpose and culture.
PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
CPKC is seeking certified journeyman welder, to perform a wide variety of journeyman duties.
- Perform quality cuts with oxy & acet., air gouge and lancing;
- Fits steel;
- Fabricates steel;
- Repair various structural components on bridges such as cracked stringers, floor beams and perforated web members by installing splice plates, reinforcing plates, reinforcing angles and other repair schemes provided;
- Read and interpret drawings;
- Material ordering.
- All other duties assigned by the structures supervisor.
- An emphasis on safety is critical for all employees. This can be a high risk environment as you will be working around heavy moving equipment;
- Employees must remain focused at all times and be willing to work in a team environment.
- The work location is outdoors and, therefore, you will be working in all weather conditions (rain, direct sunlight, snow etc).
- Must have certification as a journeyman welder and must pass the CP Rail qualifying test;
- Have a working knowledge of the welding equipment involved with the various welding procedures;
- Comprehend blueprints and be able to develop layout patters for projects and calculate quantities of materials;
- Have a thorough knowledge of metals, electrodes, welding gases and gas welding filler rods;
- Be able to recognize defective welds, determine the cause, and perform proper repair procedures to the defective area;
- Have a working knowledge of the mathematical calculations pertaining to the welding trade
- Must possess a valid driver’s license;
- A safety-oriented work ethic supported by experience within the labour industry;
- Be comfortable working on structures at heights with proper fall protection equipment.
- Ability to follow instructions, rules and regulations is essential written and verbal communications skills;
- Ability to work as a valuable member of a team.
WHAT CP HAS TO OFFER:
- Flexible and competitive benefits package
- Competitive company pension plan
- Employee Share Purchase Plan
- Performance Incentive Program
- Annual Fitness Subsidy
Operating safely is a core foundation of CPKC. Our commitment is to protect our people, customers, communities in which we operate, the environment and our assets. We are also committed to a healthy and safe workplace. CPKC’s Alcohol and Drug Policy and Procedures (“Policy and Procedures”) support these commitments. All new hires for a safety sensitive position will be required to complete a pre-employment medical that includes a physical, vision, hearing, alcohol, and drug audit assessment. Pre-employment qualification drug test(s) are also required. This includes candidates participating in the Trainee Program who will also be required to pass a drug test during the training process before receiving final qualification for the position.
The successful candidate will need to successfully complete the following clearances:
- Criminal history check
- Reference check
- Education verification
CPKC is an employment equity employer committed to the principles of employment equity and inclusion. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply including women, Black, Indigenous, People of Colour (BIPOC), members of the LGBTQ+ community, and people with disabilities. Accommodations for the job application process can be provided, as appropriate, upon request. All applicant information will be managed in accordance with the federal Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA)”.
- Req ID: 101432
- Department: Engineering
- Job Type: Full-Time
- Position Type: Union
- Location: Cranbrook, British Columbia
- Country: Canada
- % of Travel: 50-60%
- # of Positions: 1
- Job Available to: External