Wealth Associate, Private Investment Counsel – GTA East
City : Durham, ON, CA, L6M2W2
Category : Financial Specialist
Industry : Finance
Employer : Scotiabank
Requisition ID: 180505
Join a purpose driven winning team, committed to results, in an inclusive and high-performing culture.
Purpose of Job:
We are looking for a mobile Wealth Associate for our GTA East offices. The role will require regular travel to our Private Investment Counsel offices in Markham and Whitby.
The Wealth Associate role has been created as a means to develop client-focused talent in Private Investment Counsel. Wealth Associates will be supported in their development by working closely with Market Leads, Portfolio Managers and Associate Portfolio Managers in the active hands-on engagement in the delivery of the PIC and Scotia Wealth offering.
The Wealth Associate will receive formal performance coaching from the Market Lead and be involved in the management of the markets’ overall book of business, by providing effective relationship management and efficient client service.
The Wealth Associate will further develop skills to support clients and the Private Investment Counsel value proposition through interaction with and developing knowledge with respect to internal partners within the bank. As the Wealth Associate progresses in skills, knowledge and experience, he/she may be assigned primary relationship management responsibilities, for specific clients on the achievement of milestones associated with their personalized development plan, and under supervision of the Market Lead.
The Wealth Associate in these instances may partner with Private Investment Counsel’s Centralized Investment Team of Experts or local Associate Portfolio Managers/Portfolio Managers to manage client relationships and deliver an optimal client experience. Additionally, the Wealth Associate will partner with Scotia Wealth partners to deliver the comprehensive Total Wealth offering. The Wealth Associate is a key role in the business development cycle of the individual market and will spend time developing strong business development skills and executing on the achievement of growth strategies to increase Private Investment Counsel’s reach in the market.
The Wealth Associate role is a growth oriented and entry-level role and suitable for individuals who expect to advance their career and obtain registrant status (becoming a licensed associate portfolio manager/portfolio manager) with an appropriate provincial regulator. Individuals in this role will be supported through hands-on learning, professional skills and knowledge development, while perusing relevant designations such as the CIM or CFA.
The incumbent will actively pursue effective and efficient operations of his/her respective areas in accordance with Scotiabank’s Values, its Code of Conduct and the Global Sales Principles, while ensuring the adequacy, adherence to and effectiveness of day-to-day business controls to meet obligations with respect to operational, compliance, AML/ATF/sanctions and conduct risk.
Once/if the Wealth Associate obtains registrant status, Private Investment Counsel may offer a Relationship Manager position in one of locations locally or across Canada.
1. Support Overall Market Book of Business
- Ensure a comprehensive understanding Private Investment Counsels’ value proposition in relation to client’s financial needs, risk tolerance, and long- term objectives
- Stay abreast of changes in client circumstances, economic conditions and market factors to provide knowledgeable response to client questions about lifestyle / needs or capital market conditions that may affect clients’ financial objectives
- Support Market Lead or Associate Portfolio Manager/Portfolio Manager through analysis of book, development of market strategies and participation in campaigns and programs
2. Client Service
- Work collaboratively with the producing Associate Portfolio Manager/Portfolio Manager to satisfy client needs
- Respond to client inquiries in a timely, responsive and approachable manner
- Proactively identify and implement strategies to address client needs
- Prepare, analyze, and present reports and recommendations to clients
- Develop financial plans, independently or with the Associate Portfolio Manager/Portfolio Manager and Total Wealth Planning team
- Review processes and provide recommendations to improve the client experience and enhance delivery effectiveness
- Use strong knowledge of the Bank’s, Scotia Wealth Management group and Private Investment Counsel diverse products and services, to ensure the client’s needs are well understood, documented and satisfied
- Work closely with our Teams of Specialists to ensure client life goals are addressed
- Actively listen and seek client feedback on products, services and the delivery of client experience
3. Relationship Management
- When transitioning to becoming the Primary Relationship Manager for clients or while working with the local Associate Portfolio Manager/Portfolio Managers, the Wealth Associate will work closely with each to further the discovery and planning process to develop an in-depth understanding of the clients’ needs
- Following the established firm discovery practices the Wealth Associate will learn to understand client needs, goals and aspirations – then translate those into goals-based solutions through the portfolio investment process and/or collaborating with Scotia Wealth Partners
- Maintain Private Investment Counsel client experience standards regarding business planning, sales effectiveness, client engagement and portfolio management
4. Business Development
- Develop a business plan to manage sales activity, including goal-setting, pipeline management and revenue forecasting, referral source development and overall business growth, in alignment with the firm’s established practices
- Conduct prospecting activities to support Market or independently to grow your own book of business
- Create and execute prospecting plans to develop a healthy pipeline to move prospects to clients
- Build and maintain accurate prospect and client records in Salesforce.com
- Prepare and customize of client portfolio reports, presentation materials, proposals and meeting agendas and other materials supporting client meetings
- Maintain solid understanding of client needs and objectives to identify opportunities to expand the relationship across the Scotia Wealth offering
- Leverage business planning practices to manage activities that grow the business through lead identification, prospect development and existing client relationships
- Manage event-based marketing programs, including development, approvals and implementation of seminars, branch presentations, workshops both with internal partners and externally (e.g., Clients, Centers of Influence)
- Prospect and follow up on leads including Centers of Influence
- Work with the Market Lead and Associate Portfolio Manager/Portfolio Managers to develop and distribute client communication and marketing
5. Risk Management/Compliance
- Minimize the Bank’s exposure to risk by maintaining awareness and ensuring compliance/adherence to all procedures, regulatory activities and guidelines including Privacy, Anti- Money Laundering, Anti-Terrorist Financing, FCAC, Know Your Client, Occupational Health & Safety and Guidelines for Business Conduct
- Support the Portfolio Managers and Associate Portfolio Managers in maintaining client portfolios in accordance with established firm strategy which includes, utilizing the Central Portfolio Models and pools, focusing on client segmentation and client’s risk appetite
- Participating in all aspects of compliance and the identification of actions or changes in policy and/or procedures in order to remediate non-compliance in the business.
- Adhere to bank and firm standards, policies and business practices to ensure that Private Client Counsel is meeting the appropriate regulatory and compliance requirements as they relate to both new and existing accounts
- Escalate, documenting and reporting any unusual occurrences, suspicious or fraudulent activities, as per established procedures
6. Team Membership
- Contribute to the effective functioning of the Private Investment Counsel team
- Contribute to a strong, positive team environment, through accountability, innovation and a high degree of engagement
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships across the team and with various business lines, internal and external stakeholders
- Maintain a high level of client service
- Facilitate a culture of open and honest communication
- Actively participate and contributing to coaching sessions, touch bases and team meetings
- Develop and execute a meaningful employee development plan
- Encourage the generation of new ideas and approaches
- A University Degree or College Diploma or equivalent
- Thorough investment management knowledge and experience as it relates to understanding economic and capital markets
- CIM, or in the process of attaining CIM accreditation
- Enrollment in CFA program an asset
- Enrollment in or certification in CFP program an asset
- Minimum 2 years direct industry experience
- Strong relationship management skills
- Strong interpersonal, communication & listening skills
- Knowledge of Office, financial markets, economic, banking and Bloomberg.
- Must enroll and be willing to work towards successful completion of CIM within 24 months or completing at a minimum CFA Level 1
- Must be willing to work towards achievement of registrant status with provincial securities commission
Location(s): Canada : Ontario : Durham || Canada : Ontario : Markham || Canada : Ontario : Pickering || Canada : Ontario : Whitby
Scotiabank is a leading bank in the Americas. Guided by our purpose: "for every future", we help our customers, their families and their communities achieve success through a broad range of advice, products and services, including personal and commercial banking, wealth management and private banking, corporate and investment banking, and capital markets.
At Scotiabank, we value the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the Bank, and are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone. If you require accommodation (including, but not limited to, an accessible interview site, alternate format documents, ASL Interpreter, or Assistive Technology) during the recruitment and selection process, please let our Recruitment team know. If you require technical assistance, please click here. Candidates must apply directly online to be considered for this role. We thank all applicants for their interest in a career at Scotiabank; however, only those candidates who are selected for an interview will be contacted.