Waveserver Integrated Test Engineer – New Grad
City : Ottawa
Category : Engineering
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
Since 1992, Ciena has been driven by a relentless pursuit of network innovation. We believe in a network that grows smarter, more agile, and more responsive every day. This means that when you digitally interact in your world - picking up the phone, streaming video, texting a friend or loved one – your interactions are being enabled by Ciena technologies. Ciena makes your social/entertainment/business existence REAL.
How You Will Contribute:
Requirements for telecommunications networks are constantly evolving, and our products also need to advance and scale to meet the needs of our customers while also delivering uniform and consistent user experiences.
As a Waveserver Integrated Test Engineer in a dynamic team environment, you will push the boundaries of what is possible in optical network solutions. You will work alongside experienced professionals to ensure the reliability and performance of projects that play critical roles in our network solutions and help build upon our innovative technology. You will also challenge yourself and others by bringing enthusiasm and fresh ideas to new challenges and leading by example.
- You will be responsible for designing, implementing, and maintaining both manual and automated test cases which play a key role in ensuring the quality of critical optical networks utilizing the Waveserver platform
- You will be accountable for managing individual project priorities, assignments, and timelines.
- You will participate in the full software development lifecycle, collaborating with multi-functional teams of developers, UX designers, quality assurance teams & release managers.
What Does Ciena Expect of You?
- Initiative – You are a self-starter who works with limited direction and is committed to delivering against aggressive deadlines.
- Agility – you are readily able to make key decisions and manage competing and ever-changing account priorities.
- Communication expertise – the ability to influence and tailor your message and ideas to the audience to ensure understanding and buy in.
- An ability to go ‘up and down the ladder’ – capable of seeing the big picture, but also understanding the importance of the details and analysis.
- The flexibility to work independently and as part of a broader team – you thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment, but are comfortable working independently as required.
- Relationship builder – with an innate ability to influence, you can quickly develop trusted connections and get work done across multi sites.
- A commitment to innovation – you keep abreast of the market and competitive developments and are always keen to formulate new ideas and problem solve.
The Must Haves:
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related field coupled with a demonstrated ability to design and execute manual and automated test cases.
- Experience testing real-time embedded systems is an asset
- Familiarity with test automation tools and environments
- Experience working with various network interfaces to communicate with test equipment such as Serial, USB, Ethernet
- Familiarity with test and network equipment command line languages such as vendor specific APIs, CLI, YANG, and OpenConfig
- Proven debugging skills
- Passion for improving product quality through testing
- Proven experience testing software embedded solutions engineered for performance and reliability on multi-processor, highly concurrent systems.
- We are big proponents of life-work integration and provide the flexibility and tools to make it a reality with remote work and potentially, part-time work.
- We believe an inclusive, diverse, and barrier-free work environment makes for empowered and committed employees.
- We recognize the importance of well-being and offer programs and benefits to support and sustain the mental and physical health of our employees and their families and provide a variety of paid family leave programs.
- We are committed to employee development, offering tuition reimbursement, in-house learning, and mentorship opportunities.
- We know that financial security is important. We offer competitive salaries and incentive programs, RSU’s (job level specific) and an employee share option purchase program.
- We realize time away to recharge is non-negotiable. We offer unlimited paid time off!
- Great work deserves recognition. We have a robust recognition program, with ongoing and enhanced awards for exemplary performance.
As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we want to foster an environment that values and respects all individual’s strengths, perspectives, ideas, and ability to meet the needs of our customers globally. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status or any other category protected by applicable law. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
Ciena is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific accommodation measures required for you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.