Waveserver Co-Op (Fall 2023)
City : Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Category : Interns, Students & Temporary
Industry : Telecommunications
Employer : Ciena
Ciena is committed to our people-first philosophy. Our teams enjoy a culture focused on prioritizing a personalized and flexible work environment that empowers an individual’s passions, growth, wellbeing and belonging. We’re a technology company that leads with our humanity—driving our business priorities alongside meaningful social, community, and societal impact.
Since 1992, Ciena has been driven by a steadfast pursuit of network innovation. We believe in a network that grows smarter, more agile, and more adaptable every day. This means that when you digitally interact in your world - picking up the phone, streaming video, texting a friend or loved one – your interactions are being enabled by Ciena technologies. Ciena makes your social/entertainment/business existence REAL.
How You Will Contribute:
Requirements for telecommunications networks are constantly evolving, and our products also need to advance and scale to meet the needs of our customers while also delivering uniform and consistent user experiences.
As a Waveserver Software Developer Co-op in a dynamic team environment, you will push the boundaries of what is possible in optical network solutions. You will contribute to projects that play critical roles in our network solutions and help build upon our innovative technology. You will also challenge yourself and others by bringing fresh ideas to new challenges and leading by example.
· You will play a key role in crafting, developing, testing, deploying, maintaining, and improving software.
· You will be accountable for managing individual project priorities, assignments, and timelines.
· You will participate in the full software development lifecycle, collaborating with multi-functional teams of developers, UX designers, quality assurance teams & release managers.
What Does Ciena Expect of You?
· Initiative – You are a self-starter who works with limited direction and is committed to delivering alongside project timelines
· Agility – you are readily able to make key decisions and handle challenging and constantly evolving account priorities.
· Communication expertise – the ability to influence and tailor your message and ideas to the audience to ensure understanding and agreement.
· An ability to go ‘up and down the ladder’ – capable of seeing the big picture, but also understanding the importance of the details and analysis.
· The flexibility to work independently and as part of a broader team – you thrive in a multi-disciplinary team environment, but are comfortable working independently as required.
· Relationship builder – with a dedication to influence, you can quickly develop trusted connections and get work done across multi sites.
· A commitment to innovation – you keep abreast of the market and competitive developments and are always keen to formulate new ideas and problem solve.
The Must Haves:
· Working towards a Bachelor’s degree in Electrical/Computer Engineering, Computer Science or a related.
· Demonstrated ability to develop with one or more of the following programming languages - C, C++ or Python in other co-op terms or through coursework.
· Experience working with Linux-based developer tools and debugging environment such as GNU, GCC, GDB, Insight.
· Knowledge of development tools such as Git, JIRA, Yocto, Docker, Bitbucket.
· Familiarity with CI frameworks such as Jenkins, Grafana, Kubernetes.
As part of our commitment to diversity and inclusion, we want to foster an environment that values and respects all individual’s strengths, perspectives, ideas, and ability to meet the needs of our customers globally. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status or any other category protected by applicable law. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
Ciena is also committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, you should advise Ciena in a timely fashion of the specific accommodation measures required for you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner.
At Ciena, we are committed to building and fostering an environment in which our employees feel respected, valued, and heard. Ciena values the diversity of its workforce and respects its employees as individuals. We do not tolerate any form of discrimination.
If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise Ciena of any accommodation measures you may require.