Water Resources Engineering Intern / COOP Student
City : KELOWNA
Industry : Materials & Construction
Employer : Stantec
Water Resources Engineering Intern / COOP Student - ( 2300026O )
Our Kelowna Water Team is growing, and we want you to come join our Water Team as a COOP / Intern Student to work alongside others who share your passion to support communities through exciting and unique water, wastewater, general civil infrastructure and renewal projects as well as water resources and natural system projects.
The Stantec community unites approximately 22,000 employees working in over 400 locations across six continents. We approach every water and natural resource project we undertake—whether at the local, regional, or watershed level— thoughtfully, and execute it with excellence across all project phases. We partner with our clients to design fit-for-purpose solutions that address their communities’ unique needs throughout the water infrastructure lifecycle. Our experts lead their fields and guide our work with scientific rigor, an innovative spirit, and a vision for growth. We’re a place where you can apply your passion and collaborate with top talent on work that’s critical to our clients, our communities, and the industry at large.
Our Kelowna office has an opportunity for a Water Resources Engineering Intern / COOP Student
The role of a Water Resources Engineering Intern / COOP Student is to work as a team member on small and large projects under the guidance of a Project Supervisor/ Engineer. The Student will work under close supervision of a Project Supervisor/ Engineer to develop skills in engineering services of water, wastewater, storm water and water resources projects.
The Student will perform a variety of tasks which may include assisting with the plans and designs of river and stream restoration, hydrotechnical engineering and other water resources work, coordination of simple tasks meeting attendance and recording monitor site activities, and contract administration. In general, the student position will assist the junior and intermediate engineers/designers by performing the routine aspects of water resources assignments.
Your Key Responsibilities
This role will be supporting the team with water resources work including the following:
- River infrastructure including: water intakes; outfalls; dams and weirs; fishways; flood mitigation, erosion control; river training; and protective works.
- Watercourse crossings such as bridges, pipelines, roads and other linear infrastructure.
- Fish habitat and watercourse restoration using bioengineering techniques.
- Flood inundation, and flood hazard mapping.
- Applied hydrologic studies including flood frequency analysis.
- Assists in preparing reports conducts basic calculations and performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
- Supporting field programs with data collection and compilation.
- Assisting with writing reports, design briefs and professional letters and emails.
- Taking responsibility for the quality of your written, technical and graphic work, and for completing work on-time and on-budget.
- Coordinating design drawings and specification development.
- Attending internal, client and contactor meetings and documenting the meetings with minutes.
- Contract Administration as required for a wide variety of construction projects.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Proficient in Microsoft (MS) Office Suite.
- Eager to learn, a desire to take initiative
- The drive to embrace continuous improvement as they develop in their career
- Demonstrate a willingness to strive for excellence in all aspects of their work activities
- Finds it personally rewarding to successfully meet and overcome challenges
- Excellent team and communication skills
- Basic understanding of HEC-RAS and other hydraulic modelling software.
- Developing cooperative skills in working efficiently with a team.
- Flexibility to work beyond regular business hours
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks, responsibilities and projects and adjust to changing demands
Education and Experience
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor of Science in Engineering Program at an accredited university, second year or above. Specific coursework or exposure to water resource and hydrotechnical work is considered an asset.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both verbal and written, and ability to work in a team environment.
- Commitment to thrive in a proactive organization where client service is second to none.
Typical office environment working with computers and working at a desk for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements, including inclement weather.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.The experience will forever shape your future. #FeelingEnergized
Benefits Summary: Full-time and part-time employees will have access to health, dental, and vision plans, a well-being program, health care spending account, wellness spending accounts, group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, group tax-free savings account, life and accidental death & dismemberment (AD&D) insurance, short-term/long-term disability plans, emergency travel benefits, tuition reimbursement, professional membership fee coverage, and paid time off.
Temporary/casual employees will have access to group registered retirement savings plan, employee stock purchase program, and group tax-free savings account.
Primary Location : Canada-British Columbia-Kelowna
Organization : BC-1117 Water-CA British Columbia
Employee Status : Temporary
Job Level : Entry Level
Travel : No
Schedule : Full-time
Job Posting : May 19, 2023, 3:26:36 PM
Req ID: 2300026O
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans