Highlights of the job
We are hiring one (1) FT Temporary Water Plant Operator I for up to 11 months, working out of one of the Water Treatment Plants in Edmonton, AB!
What you’d be responsible for
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Water Plant Operator I will be accountable for, but not limited to:
- Providing input for the operation of the water treatment plant.
- Ensuring the delivery of optimal results against appropriate performance metrics, including:
- Meeting or exceeding conditions of the Approval to Operate in a safe, efficient and effective manner
- Providing the highest quality service, while being cost effective and exceeding internal water quality and production goals
- Recording and effectively communicating all significant operational events and daily operational activities.
- Ensuring the Water Treatment Plants are maintained through timely maintenance and safe and clean working environments.
- Assisting with the coordination of Hazardous Energy Isolation activities for maintenance, engineering and contractors, and scheduled Plant shutdowns.
- Operating the distribution and process computers and performing established water quality tests.
- Ensuring the safe operation of plant equipment, and setting and monitoring chemical feed rates.
- Updating and maintaining documentation and logs pertaining to tests and processes.
- Correcting minor operating problems and performing other related duties as required.
What’s required to be successful
Qualifications, experience and behaviors you will possess are:
- Grade 12 diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of a recognized Water and Wastewater Technician program.
- Strong understanding of Plant operations.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Excel, Word and Outlook, SharePoint and SCADA.
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Motor Vehicle Operator's License (with 6 demerits or less). A Driver Abstract will be required.
- Able to meet the physical demands of the position. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.
As the successful candidate, you demonstrate strong organizational, troubleshooting and decision making skills, and are committed to service and excellence. You consistently focus on continuous improvement and possess an affinity to learn and train others on new and existing processes. You take initiative, communicate openly and possess the ability to work effectively in a team environment, as well as independently.
Health and safety are integral to EPCOR's work, and we strive to maintain a zero-injury organizational culture. As such, you have a demonstrated history of safety awareness and a safe work record to date.
Other important facts about this job
Class: WO1 (8200)
Wage: Starting at $39.93 per hour (Final Wage and Step will be determined at the time of selection and is based on a combination of factors as outlined in the CA that may be found online.)
Hours of work: 80 hours bi-weekly (this position may require participation in rotating shift work).
Application deadline: May 16, 2021
Learn more about Working at EPCOR!
Please note the following information:
- A requirement of working for EPCOR is that you are at least 18 years of age and legally entitled to work in Canada. (A copy of a valid work permit may be required.)
- If you are considered for the position, clearance on all applicable background checks (which may include criminal, identity, educational, and/or credit) and professional reference checks is required. Some EPCOR positions require an enhanced level of background assessment, which is dictated by law. These positions require advanced criminal record checks that must also be conducted from time to time after commencement of employment.
- A technical/practical assessment may be administered during the selection process and this exercise will be used as a part of the selection criterion.
- To meet the physical demands required of some positions, candidates must be in good physical condition and willing to work in all weather conditions. Clearance on pre-placement medical and drug and alcohol testing may be required.