Water Operation Technician Co-op Student
City : Elkford, British Columbia, CA
Category : Students & Graduates
Industry : Mining/Quarrying
Employer : Teck
Start Date: January 2024
Duration: 8 months
Multiple Locations: Fording River Operations – near Elkford, BC
Application Deadline: September 24, 2023
Why consider Teck Resources Ltd. for your Co-op placement?
Teck hires more than 200 co-op students each year to work at our various Canadian operations. Teck has been named as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers by Mediacorp Canada’s Top Employers program for the past six years, and was included in the Forbes World’s Best Employers 2021 and 2022 list and Canada's Top Employer for Young People 2022 and 2023. Teck is also ranked #1 in the Minerals and Mining Industry on the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI) for 12 consecutive years, indicating that Teck’s sustainability practices rank in the top 10 percent of the world’s 2,500 largest public companies.
Teck Coal Limited is the world’s second largest seabourne exporter of steelmaking coal. We have 4 mining operations located in the Elk Valley region in the beautiful Southeastern Rockies, BC. Our product is an essential ingredient to make steel which is used for building infrastructure as well as for clean energy projects like wind and solar power, to transportation alternatives like rapid transit and buses. Check out this link to learn more: Teck Coal Limited
Innovate with Teck
Digital technologies are redefining our industry and contributing to improvements in every step of the mining process. We improve our efficiency, safety, sustainability and growth by putting smarter ideas to work and crafting advancements in our technology and our practice. At Teck, we embrace new ideas, and employ them. Teck fosters a culture where employees are encouraged to bring ideas forward and implement technologies that can help make us a better company.
Professional benefits of working as a co-op with Teck Resources Ltd:
- Our values guide every decision we make as a company and as individual employees. Teck is led by our values of safety, sustainability, integrity, respect, excellence, and courage
- The opportunity to work on exciting projects alongside a team of professionals who are specialists in their respective fields, you will experience a combination of projects in the field as well as in the office
- Competitive salary for our co-ops as well as assistance with travel costs and co-op fees
- Make an impression! Successful co-ops with Teck are given first consideration for professional positions upon graduation
- Currently pursuing a post-secondary diploma in Water Treatment or and undergraduate Degree in Process or Chemical Engineering with a focus on water or waste water treatment
- Participation in Teck’s health and safety programs to ensure that everyone on site goes home safe and healthy every day
- Strong mechanical understanding of process equipment
- Strong digital literacy and proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite®; especially Excel
- Valid Class 5 Driver's License or equivalent
- Previous experience with Programmable Logic Controllers and Human Machine Interface systems is considered an asset
- Be a courageous safety leader, adhere to and sponsor safety and environmental rules and procedures
- Ensure compliance with British Columbia legislation as it relates to mine water treatment facilities
- Monitor and control the water treatment facility to ensure performance objectives are achieved and reporting requirements are met
- Conduct sampling and support third party contractors on the collection, preparation, and delivery of samples to the laboratory, including hazardous waste
- Perform water chemistry analytical testing, laboratory testing, reagent preparation, as well as Quality Control testing
- Conduct process control adjustments based on computerized data and process set points
- Execute routine and non-routine operational activities as required, including start-up and shutdown, isolation or lock-out/tag-out, and draining, de-pressurization and flushing of isolated equipment
- Create and evaluate innovative ideas and technologies to help improve the way we do business
All students will be required to complete pre-employment drug testing prior to commencing work.
This is an exciting opportunity to join our Water Quality Management team as they work to ensure the health of the local watershed, guided by the Elk Valley Water Quality Plan! Located in the breathtaking Elk Valley of British Columbia. Here you will find outdoor adventure at your fingertips. Whether it's biking and skiing, or the laid-back atmosphere of fishing and hiking, there is something for everyone. Come experience what work life balance is all about!
How to Apply
If you are interested in this exciting student work term opportunity, please click the following link to complete our online application form to be considered for the above position with Teck.
Recruitment is ongoing and applications will be reviewed as they are received.
At Teck, we value diversity. Our teams work collaboratively and respect each person’s unique perspective and contribution.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Teck is a diversified resource company committed to responsible mining and mineral development with major business units focused on copper, steelmaking coal and zinc, as well as investments in energy assets.
Headquartered in Vancouver, Canada, its shares are listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbols TECK.A and TECK.B and the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol TECK. Learn more about Teck at www.teck.com or follow @TeckResources.