City : Vancouver
Category : Corporate Services
Industry : Government
Employer : City of Vancouver
Requisition ID: 38680
Located on the traditional, ancestral and unceded lands of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and səlilwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples, Vancouver has a commitment to becoming a City of Reconciliation. Vancouver consistently ranks as one of the world’s most liveable cities and is working towards being the greenest city in the world. Named among Canada's Top 100 Employers, BC's Top Employers, and Canada's Greenest Employers, the City of Vancouver seeks colleagues who can help shape and embody our core commitments to sustainability, decolonization, equity and outstanding quality of life for all residents.
Consider joining our committed team of staff and being part of an innovative, inclusive and rewarding workplace.
Main Purpose and Function
Performs materials handling function at the City of Vancouver’s warehouse facilities including; loading, unloading, sorting, storing, moving, and counting inventory; receiving and issuing materials; packing and labeling materials; and general warehouse maintenance.
The Warehouse Worker reports to the Storekeeper position; frequently interacts with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Receiving Inbound Material
- Unloads and inspects material for quality and quantity
- Compares purchase order to packing slip, report and document any discrepancies
- Records the receipt of all inbound materials in SAP
- Labels material by SKU number, barcode, material description, and / or bin number
- Arranges and stock material on racks, shelves, or bins according to predetermined sequence, and restock shelves as required
- Stores, distributes and / or disposes of returned material
- Maintains accurate records of all in-stock material in SAP
Picking and Processing Orders
- Accepts and reviews accuracy of outbound customer orders, work orders, shipping orders, and requisition forms
- Picks ordered materials from warehouse stock, assemble and prepares ordered materials for shipping
- Loads and/or delivers orders when required
- Records outbound material movement in SAP
- Conducts scheduled inventory cycle counts, record count totals, and report any discrepancies between count and SAP record
- Maintains accurate record of inventory movement in SAP
- Reviews, corrects, and completes orders request and document in SAP
- Resolves routine customer inquiries at the counter and over the telephone
- Makes occasional offsite deliveries
- Accompanies customers in the warehouses
- Adheres to the necessary safety methods and procedures, departmental processes, and corporate policies
- Maintains warehouse cleanliness and organization
- Operates motorized material handling equipment (e.g. vehicles, forklifts, order pickers etc.)
- Performs other duties/responsibilities as assigned
Education and Experience:
- Completion of grade 12 or equivalency
- Related warehouse experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Forklift Operator Certificate is required, with preference given to candidates with at least 2 years experience operating a forklift
- Current and valid Driver’s License for the Province of British Columbia is required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Working knowledge of warehouse operations and materials movement
- Ability to take directions, and follow instructions and regulations
- Ability to perform thorough, complete, and accurate work
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team environment
- Ability to build effective working relationships
- Ability to use computer programs including word-processing, spreadsheets, databases and scheduling programs
- Ability to read, write, count, and speak English
- Ability to lift, push, and carry heavy items
- Ability to operate a vehicle, forklift, and order picker
- Ability to use hand and power tools
- Ability to work at heights
- Ability to perform physical work in all weather conditions
Driver’s License and Record Checks:
- A valid BC Driver's license is required.
- The license must not include any restrictions that would affect the ability to legally and safely carry out job responsibilities.
- Transportation arrangements must meet the operational requirements of the department
The City’s COVID-19 vaccination policy is currently suspended and as a result, vaccination against COVID-19 is not required at this time. However, should circumstances change and the City deem it necessary to re-introduce such policy, you may be required to provide proof of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to be eligible to continue performing your duties.
Business Unit/Department: Finance, Risk & Supply Chain Management (1150)
Affiliation: CUPE 15 Non Pks
Employment Type: Temporary Full Time
Position Start Date: June, 2023
Position End Date: November, 2023
Salary Information: Pay Grade GR-016: $27.98 to $32.87 per hour
Application Close: June 4, 2023
At the City of Vancouver, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. Indigenous applicants, people of colour, all genders, 2SLGBTQ+ and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Accommodations will be provided upon request during the selection process. Learn more about our commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Before you click Apply now
Once you start your application you can save your work and leave the applications page, however please remember to submit your profile to the specific job requisition before the posting closing date.
In addition to uploading your cover letter and resume, part of the application process may include answering application questions related to the preferred requirements of the role which may take approx. 5-10 minutes. Cover letters should express interest and highlight additional information relevant to the position and resumes should include a summary of skills and experience related to the position.